Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Latest Mini-Project

AzRednek

This started several months ago. Cruising Backpage as I do almost daily looking for young guys that have inherited Dad or Grandpa's Smith and Wesson revolver anxiously looking to trade for the latest Wonder-Nine or large capacity Tupperware. I just happened to click on this Taurus being sold as-is for best offer. I offered a hundred and to make a long story short got it for $145.00. It needed a rear sight and a good ol'fasion cleaning. There was also a lead build-up in the chamber.

P1010017_zpstag6sjkz.jpg

I found the ArmaLaser brand laser cheap on Ebay and after cruising ArmLaser's website I discovered they were closing out a correct fitting IWB holster for half price. Apx $26.00 shipped. I've always wanted a laser that lights by simply grabbing or holding the pistol without the unsightly cables. Being a cheapskate I just wasn't willing to pay 2-300 for the name brands. The ArmaLaser has the gold pad that turns the laser on as soon as the pistol is gripped. I sighted in the laser dead on at 12 yards using only 10rds getting it right.

P1010016_zpsvkxovk4i.jpg

The cheapie Taurus is reliable with FMJ and some SD ammo. Flat tipped 45's just do not want to feed. Home cast H&G type wadcutters run perfect as does my favorite SD handgun ammo, Winchester SilverTips. I'm down to my last 10 SilverTips and have not seen any for sale since the Obama shortages started. The SilverTips are nearly explosive lessoning the chance of over penetration.

P1010014_zpsilcipfhe.jpg

I found the perfect leather dressing that does not irritate bare skin. The Bag Balm did a great job of helping to save my fingernails during the chemo treatments. Reading about the Bag Balm some where on the net, rubbing it in leather and setting it in sunlight softened up the very stiff, thick leather.

P1010018_zpsnyhi7fsb.jpg

I discovered Taurus' lifetime warranty specifically excludes sights. I also discovered why the seller was anxious to get rid of it. I found out trying to order parts from Taurus is harder than ordering at Taco Bell from a non English speaking illegal alien. Like a nightmare dealing with Taurus's customer service. Took several attempts to get the right part, they kept sending the wrong sight. I finally got the right part after sending Taurus the broken rear sight and a photo. Even though I got the correct sight. The Allen head screw was not even close. Tiny little screw cost me four bucks from a gunsmith ending any future chance I do business there again.

I had to demand to speak to a real manager at Taurus, not another rep claiming to be a manger. Every time they sent the wrong rear sight they did not credit my debit card after I returned the incorrect part, charging me again for the replacement. I had four debits I could still dispute, the first one was stale. Taurus finally credited my account for the previous charges and the correct sight was given to me no charge. I raised a stink about the postage returning the incorrect sights and let the manager know bank service fees for each dispute would cost 25-$40.00. It took apx six months of back and forth to get it right.

45ACP indeed. Recoil not to difficult. More than a GI 45 but considerably less than a heavy framed S&W 357. Looks like it is back to the range. After using considerable force seating the laser equipped pistol into the stiff holster and letting it sit in 100+ degree sunlight. The laser has moved low/right.

That has to be one of the better deals I have read of in some time. :rolleyes:

Good for you Az.

karl

Not a bad deal but used Taurus pistols don't get the big bucks. Pretty sure the new Taurus compact 45's sell new for about 300 or less. Used name brands like S&W, Glock etc in excellent condition fetch about 20-25% less than new. Taurus along with oddball brand names less. My best guess in the used market my Taurus would fetch somewhere in the 200-225 range. With the broken rear sight and the seller's honesty of having FTF problems. I think we made a deal both of us were satisfied with.

I'm speculating the seller probably had problems with Taurus' customer service and was anxious to get rid of it. Couple years ago I sent a Taurus revolver for a free repair. I discovered it was not only cheaper but considerably less red tape. Taking it to a FFL, paying his $20 fee + USPS Insured Priority Mail postage rather than shipping it via FedEx.

FedEx being the only common carrier that will ship a handgun for a non-FFL demand it be shipped overnight express. FedEx insisted I take it to their main facility. Satellite facilities are not allowed to accept handguns. I can't remember the exact numbers but FedEx's overnight postage was about $45. About 32 bucks total through my FFL and totally hassle free. Although it was shipped by my FFL. It was returned directly to me via UPS' adult signature required ground service.

Friend of mine sent a gun to Taurus. The FedEx clerk called security to open the box to assure the gun was not loaded, After my friend was asked several questions and showed his ID to the security guard. The guard finally green lighted it. The FedEx clerk recorded the gun's serial and friend's driver license numbers entering it into their data base.

I've sent a gun to Taurus to get fixed via FedEx. I had no problems at all. It was a PT58, a clone of a Beretta that is like a scaled down 92. It had light primer hits since new. They fixed it and sent it back.

I've sent a gun to Taurus to get fixed via FedEx. I had no problems at all. It was a PT58, a clone of a Beretta that is like a scaled down 92. It had light primer hits since new. They fixed it and sent it back.

Doc did FedEx accept it at a satellite facility??

From what I've read on other gun boards FedEx doesn't treat everybody shipping a handgun like a criminal in other parts of the country. FedEx and UPS both can get pretty chicken shoot here in Phoenix. I assume it has plenty to do with Phx being a hub for the Mexican drug cartels.

I ship stuff via FedEx all the time. I use the online thing and print out the label. That's what I did in this case, so it was all ready to go, just drop it off. I never use one of those satellite facilities. I always drop it off at their main office locally. Just walk in, hand them the box, that's it.

I don't think so. It's been a few years. I just filled out the online form like I always do, except I shipped it overnight, as they require. FedEx doesn't have anything that says "declare contents." You declare the value for insurance purposes. Maybe they do it different now, I dunno.

Guess it is a different ball game here in Phoenix. After the Y2K frenzy I sold on Ebay cases of MRE's a relative hoarded. Didn't have any trouble shipping through the Post Office. Had a few rural buyers that insisted on being shipped UPS. UPS would bring it to their door. USPS would leave a notice in their mailbox to pick it up at a Post Office. Two buyers filed claims with UPS. UPS not only opened the cardboard box they also cut open each individual MRE. I suppose UPS was looking for cartel drugs or cash. Fortunately for me and the buyers. UPS promptly paid the claims realizing they destroyed the MRE's ability for long term storage. A UPS driver told me if I had an established account chances were less likely of the deep inspection. The driver also advised me to pay with plastic, making sure the name and address on the return address was the same as the debit/credit card.

Gun I've heard and read some good things on the Williams Firesights. I saw them on Ebay while shopping for the laser.

Just curious, have you found a reliable jam-free self defense type ammo for your Taurus?? I had some FTF problems with flat tipped HP's.

Gun I got the Taurus used, do you know if it is rated for +P's?? I think it might have been Winchester White box JHP's that were hanging up on me. Not seeing my favorite Winchester 185gr SilverTips in years I have a feeling it has been discontinued in favor of the Defender.

I will find my owners manual and let you know. I do not shoot +P out of mine though there is an older thread at taurusarmed.net about the Millennium Pro PT145 and shooting +P loads.

I would copy and paste but this site will not let me paste.

This is from Taurus' generic polymer pistol manual, which I think is what would cover that Millennium model:

“Plus-P’, “Plus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be DANGEROUS

Download page:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-manuals.cfm

Polymer pistol pdf:

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/polymer_pistol_manual.pdf

Millennium G2 pdf:

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/millennium-g2-manual.pdf

THX!! Doc,

Hopefully I can locate a standard load that provides rapid expansion lessoning the chance of over penetration. When the heat breaks I'm going to have to try and pour some home cast. Pure or as near pure lead might expand as well as SilverTips. Winchester only markets the 40 cal SilverTip for handloaders.

Wish I knew the alloy used in SilverTips. Judging by a thumbnail test. The SilverTips feel as soft or softer than pure lead. I'm guessing the alloy contains tin giving it the silvery color without adding significant hardness. Some net-know-it-alls claim it is Tin for color and Mercury to soften added in the 38 Special and 45 ACP alloy but I doubt it.

About 20 years ago my son and I shot various slugs into bags of dry wall mud. Home Depot used to every morning sell bags that were cut or partially opened dirt cheap. Not good as ballistic gel but much easier to work with. Best I recall nearly all 45's, jacketed hollow points included just blew through leaving a 45 cal hole. The 45ACP SilverTips caused the bags to literally explode. One 45 SilverTip slug I managed to recover was a gun rag photo quality near perfect mushroom. The 45ACP SilverTips had the same explosive affect as 357, 41 and 44 Mags but in theory anyway do not penetrate as deep. All I could recover from the mags were slivers of copper jackets.

Wish I could still get the dry wall mud cheap. Shooters, myself included probably killed it by leaving a big mess behind in desert shooting areas.