It started as a Century Arms 5 for $70.00 PI "poor incomplete" purchase I
made before I knew what PI stood for :-) .
The stock was shattered and all I got was a 1955 Romanian barreled
action with no bayonet lug and a slight bend at the end of the barrel
that I suspect happened when whoever or whatever removed the bayonet lug.It had a
barrel obstruction and a coat of rust over the entire gun....The barrel
obstruction turned out to be a rolled up piece of paper the length of
the barrel and the rust was from no bluing what so ever..After I ran a
few patches through the barrel I was rewarded with what appears as a NEW
So I cut it to 16 1/2 to get rid of the bent part and recrowned with a
carriage bolt and grinding compound.Draw filed the lath marks off the
barrel and action,and redid the front sight with a blade from a scrap of
I really like the mannlischer style stock so I ordered a stock from
Boyds along with a extra piece of walnut for the stock extension.
The front nose cap is a Yugo Mauser bayonet lug without the lug and the
barrel band that hides the splice came from the same rifle,The butt
plate is a flip flop glued to a piece of aluminum .So far I have 4 coats
of Lin-Speed oil on it and 6 more to go.I Painted the metal with
Dura-coat and The magazine and "Boltman" bolt came from my other Mosins
[Yes it headspaces just fine].Any it also shoots just fine in spite of
the short barrel,I use Czech hollow core ammo in it so as to keep my
shoulder in joint..And it DOES have a fireball!!!
I am sure I forgot some more steps that I did but I sure had fun
rebuilding what many would concider a "Dumpster" gun....
Thanks for Reading!