Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M14 Range Test

Sailormilan2

I got a new batch of ammo the other day and decided to test a couple of guns. I had recently installed a SEI muzzle brake to my sons gun, so it needed to be sighted in.
Ammo tested. Nosler Custom Competiton 168gr HPBT, Fed Gold Medal Match 168gr HPBT, and the new Nosler made Silver State Armory 175gr HPBT.

Distance: 100 yds

Guns tested.
My Polytech, rebarreled with Krieger standard weight, 1x11" twist. USGI fiberglass stock, with adjustable cheek piece, and Bushnell 10x 3200 Elite Tactical, mounted in Ewings scope mount.

My sons Polytech, with medium heavy, SAI barrel, SEI Coast Guard Muzzle brake, Archangel stock, Bushnell 10x 3200 Elite Tactical mounted in a Basset mount.

My gun does not like Fed Gold Medal Match. Patterns were about 4" at 100 yds. But it really seems to like the new SSA ammo from Nosler. I wish I had gotten more than the 10 boxes I got. My gun also did better with the Nosler Custom Competition, than it did with the FGMM, though the NCC is not shown.

DadsPolytech0001Resized_zps07f71cc8.jpg

My son's Polytech was the opposite. It really like the FGMM ammo, and only did so so with the NCC. I did not test the SSA ammo in his gun at this time. I may have to keep it.USNA

RobsPolytech0001Resized_zpsb1f7caf9.jpg

Those are very fine groups indeed.

I have done groups of that order but only with bolt action reworked rifles.

To do it with a semiauto is very very fine work.

Please let us know the result at 500 meters or so.

karl