Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pattern 14 Dp

Gun

Howdy Folks!

With the barrels being slugged/welded through the chamber right in front of the receiver ring how can a person know if it is safe to use the actions for building a new rifle?

The heat on the ring is my main, only actually, concern.

Thanks!

I'm not an expert. However, Shotgun News has had some home-gunsmitting articles on this stuff. Is this a 1903 we're talking about? The SGN article mentioned that the welding jobs done were pathetic, with likely zero penetration, much less heat damage further out. You'd have to inspect it yourself, though. You could pull it all apart and take a file to the ring in an inconspicuous place and see how hard it seems. Or you could send it off to be heat treated if you were really worried. Some of them weren't even hardened that much at the factory.

And welcome to the board.

Howdy Dr. Hess!

Thank you for the welcome.

No I am talking about the Pattern 14 made by Remington, Eddystone and Winchester for the English for World War One and later used in World War Two. It is the 303 British and earlier version of the U.S. M1917 .30-06 (U.S. Enfield).

I have a Winchester and Remington model and I have pulled the barrels of off both. The welds look to only have just barely penetrated the barrels.

Sorry I can't help with your question on the welding. However on both the P-14 and 17's if you see any indications of the barrel ever being changed by the military or civilian. It is recommended you soak the receiver up to and beyond the ring in a bucket of gasoline. I've read two hours others say overnight. After removing the receiver from the gasoline let it evaporate on its own. Do not stick it in front of a fan, burn it off etc. If there are tiny hairline cracks in the receiver ring they will become visible as the gas evaporates. The gas soaks into the cracks and evaporates slower than on the smooth surfaces. If you do see hairline cracks. It is recommended not to use it for re-barreling.

I do not recall exactly how or why the cracks form on both US and Brit Enfields. I think it has something to do with improper removal of the barrel. I'm going by what I've read and not personal experience. Rifles from the WW 1 era were often refurbished for use in WW 2. Many but not necessarily all were re-barreled. There is also the possibility the original barrel may have been removed and reinstalled for another reason. War time pressure and need to speed up the production, especially for the under armed Brits. I'm told caused many to have the barrel improperly removed. I've also read claims of discovering hairline cracks in the receiver ring with the original barrel. Unfortunately there is not a truth / BS meter on internet posts.

You might consider SAFELY soaking it in gasoline and look for hairline cracks in the receiver ring before spending any money. If Don Markey or Z1R would chime into this thread. They could explain it better than me.

Welcome and stick around keeping us up to date on your project.

EDIT Seems to me I recall somebody using Freon to find the cracks. You might find it in a net search.

Tell us about the Goofball Magnum?? Is it anything like the once popular in the 50 and 60's 8MM Poorman's Magnum. It was simply a 338 Win mag case necked down or 308 Norma necked up to 8MM. Used in WW2 bring-backs and mail order Mausers of the era.

Well it is super secret but I'll tell you as long as you don't tell anyone else ;):D :D.

It is just a necked up 7MM Rem. Mag. to 8MM with a 35 degree shoulder.

Lots of other cartridges already out there that are much better than this. I just wanted to do something different and I like the 8MM bullet.

Well I like the 7MM bullet, the 6.5MM bullet, .311 bullet, .338 bullet .30 caliber bullet, .458 caliber bullet, .224 bullet, okay I like most of them.

Gun I wonder how the shoulder angle affects a belted mag that headspaces on the belt??

Gun Said:
Well I like the 7MM bullet, the 6.5MM bullet, .311 bullet, .338 bullet .30 caliber bullet, .458 caliber bullet, .224 bullet, okay I like most of them.

Now that's un-American not having 357 and 452 on that list!! You're not a commie are you?? :lol: :lol:

"Gun I wonder how the shoulder angle affects a belted mag that headspaces on the belt??"

I am not sure. But my thinking is that as the 7MM Rem. Mag. has a 25 degree shoulder that an additional 10 degrees would not matter.

Asking for help and opinions here-would the extra 10 degrees matter?