Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Back To Building

donmarkey

Well as some of you may noticed I haven't been around much lately. Actually I haven't been able to do a whole lot as anything lately without access to my shop. Well my divorce is final and I'm back to complete some projects that have been in the works. This one is ready to send off to the stock duplicator. Now I can get back to some of the other projects that I had to put on hold. I appologize to those that I was forced to put there parts on the back burner too. I'm back at it and I didn't forget about you guys (Jim and Mark and a couple others). This one is a 30-06 build on a 1909 argentine action.

30-06001.jpg

30-06002.jpg

30-06003.jpg

Don, I think most of us who look at that rifle and say "that's nice" have no idea of the talent, work and energy that goes into making a beautiful rifle. I especially like to look at it because I do a little of that type of work but not in that class. If that is a "10" then what I do is someplace about a 5. That is a classic rifle that puts to shame all the later style painted, rolled over and thumb hole stocks. I too will be watching for more pictures. riceone.

That's outstanding work Don. I'm glad things are settling out for you and things are getting back to normal.

-Jason

Looking good! What kind of wood is that? I like the streaking in the butt. Looks a little wet around the bolt handle notch.

It's just a cheap piece of walnut, claro I think. It's just a pattern blank, I'll be picking up the stock blank this weekend if everything goes right. The streaking was a friend of mine practicing his faux work. It's sharpie.

Don

It's just a cheap piece of walnut, claro I think. It's just a pattern blank, I'll be picking up the stock blank this weekend if everything goes right. The streaking was a friend of mine practicing his faux work. It's sharpie.

Don

That's funny, you had me fooled! Any reason you put a tip on a pattern stock?

That's funny, you had me fooled! Any reason you put a tip on a pattern stock?

It was actually on an action at one time. I was never real happy with it. Since then a stockmaker friend of mine did a little magic to it. Along with some of the other custom touches I did the stock was second rate to the rest of the action so a pattern it became. I was happy with the rest of the action so I deceided to bite the bullet on cost and get a nice piece of wood for it and get the bolt handle checkered. Shoots 1" groups in the pattern with factory core lock 180's so I figured it was worth the money.

Don

• 2 weeks later...