Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Barrel Bushing Range Test

Sailormilan2

I tested two 1911s today after fitting new bushings, and in one case a new slide stop.
#1. My Rock Tactical, which I have set up to be able to run 10mm through. 10mm slide is one from ParaOrdnance. Photo shows testing done with the Rock's 45 acp bushing at the top, and the new, tighter bushing lower down. There were two loads tested, 4 of each. More of a function test than a real accuracy test. At this time I can't remember POA for the upper group, but the new bushing brings everything to right about POA. I noticed that while the 2 4 shot groups overlap just a bit, the centers are seperated by about 1 1/2". The lighter bullet/load shoots a bit higher and to the left.
I'm not working for accuracy yet, more of a function test. The lighter load(175 gr SWC, 6.4 gr Unique) is almost too light. Both groups were fired from a rest at about 17 yds.

Dads10mm0001_zpsgqukiakw.jpg

#2. My son's 1991A1 Commander. I have set it up be a switch caliber. 9mm/38Super/10mm using a ParaOrdnance slide. 9mm& 38Super barrels were old style pencil Colt barrels, 10mm is a drop in barrel. Pencil barrels got new bushing because the old one's were very loose. 10mm bushing is a drop in, but fit perfectly. The original 45acp barrel also got a new bushing.
9mm slide stop was loose, so I got a new Fusion 9mm slide stop that measured right at .200".
10mm groups were fired from a rest at 17 yds. Unfortunately, due to a very tight chamber, some of my reloads wouldn't chamber, so target only got shot 5 times.
9mm/38Super/45acp were shot at 10 yds, using two handed hold.
Gun is set up for 10mm, so it has a 26# MS. Trigger pull is harder, so there is some vertical stringing since I am getting used to the trigger.

Target one. 2 groups. 18 shots. 9mm & 38 Super, old bushings, old slide stop. 23# MS.
Joes9mm38S10001_zpst7jtjke1.jpg

Target 2. 9mm, new bushing, new slide stop. 26# MS.
Joes9mm_zps2xzx96rk.jpg

Target 3. Same target, with 38Super superimposed.
Joes9mm38S20001_zpsv9xhlnk3.jpg

Target #4. 10mm. 17 yds, from a rest. Test no fully done. 180 TC loads wouldn't chamber. 4 shots of 175 SWC(6.4 gr Unique), 1 shot of 180 TC.
Joes10mm_zpslgybgpim.jpg

Target #5. 45acp barrel, new bushing. 185 gr JHP PMC. Carry ammo.

Joes45_zpsohadtl6e.jpg

That is very fine shooting.

You do good work sir.

karl

Good shooting indeed. I haven't been able to shoot that well since I was in my 20's. I used to have a Series 70 Mark IV in 38 Super that was deadly accurate after being fine tuned by a gunsmith. The smith installed a barrel that headspaced the cartridge in the case's mouth. At the time Colt was building 38 Supers to headspace on the rim. I foolishly traded the Colt away after getting infected by the Smith and Wesson bug.

When I see the 70 Series Mark IV's going for a grand plus today at gunshows makes me want to kick myself. In 71 or 72 I paid about $140.00 brand new in the box. At the same time my now deceased younger brother bought a Commander in 45ACP for about $120.00. Early 80's I had a Llama chambered in 38 Super for a short time. It was reliable, I never recall a jam but the shot to shot accuracy off of sandbags was pathetic with either 38 Auto or Super.

38 Super is one of the most under rated handgun cartridges. Handgun shooters go to the extreme beefing up 9MM's loading over published max. They could easily achieve the same or even more velocity with a pistol chambered in 38 Super. The only thing I didn'y like about 38 Super was the difficulty finding ammo. In the 70's 38 Auto was easy to find but the Super when I could locate it was high priced.

38 Super made a comeback. One of the competition series has a power factor in the calculation for part of it, and a 38 Super bumped them into the class they wanted to be in, so a bunch started shooting it and created a revival.