Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Converting A Barrel?

Kyle

Would it be possible for me to convert a 30-06 or .308 barrel to .308 Norma Mag similar to a conversion like 8x57 to 8mm-06?

I'd really like to build a Mauser in .308 Norma Mag but that isn't a very common cartridge so the cheaper barrel makers like A&B don't carry it. A nice 30-06 or .308 barrel should be easy enough to find and if I could change it for less then the cost of a new barrel in .308 NM I'd be pretty happy.

What do you think?

Should be easy enough to run a chamber reamer in...Many years ago I did the same thing except it was a Mossberg 1500. It was 30-06 and I turned it into the Norma mag...I also had to have the bolt face opened up and the rails worked over to feed the fatter round...

Yes to everything you've asked, Kyle.

All the .308 magnums you've listed will clean-up a .308 Win and 30-06 chamber (but like eric said you will have to open the bolt face and probably address feeding issues). The 8 mm - 06 will clean-up the 8 x 57 chamber and the two I've done haven't required any feeding mods (although I'm not too picky about feeding either - if it usually feeds without me noticing that it fed I'm happy).

I think a 308 Norma would be REALLY COOL. If you build it on a Turk you can use a Rem 700 -06 take off. You WILL have to do the bolt and probably have to address feeding issues, but you WILL ALSO learn a lot!

Go for it!

.308Win, 30'06, 30-30... Any .308 bore will be a good candidate provided:

The barrel diameter is correct in the right areas (some featherweight barrels are a little thin just forward of the chamber and in the chamber area for the H&H case at high pressures).

You have the correct twist (the .308Win is usually a 1-10 twist, but can vary from 1-10 to 1-15. I'd want a 1-10 for the magnum case).

An A&B .308Win and 30'06 barrel of the same contour (F34, F54, etc) should have all external dimensions the same. It will make no difference when cleaning out either; you'll wind-up with the same final product when reaming to 308 Norma.

I also think a Mauser sporter in .308 Norma Mag would be really cool. When I originally evaluated what I wanted in a rifle the closest match I found as far as caliber was the .300 Win Mag until I found the .308 Norma Mag. Not only would it suit my needs very well it would also give me something more unique then a rifle in .300 WM and it may actually turn out to cost less then buying a new rifle in that caliber.

I thought about buying a Turk M38 with a Rem 700 barrel but I also have a Brazilian Mauser 08/34 that I'll probably use instead. I believe .308 Norma mag is very close in length to 30-06 and my 08/34 was converted at the arsenal to 30-06 from 7mm so I don't think I'll have to do any work at all with the feed ramp. I even acquired a K98 winter trigger guard/mag since it can get pretty chilly here in Minnesota during hunting season and that way I can wear gloves and fire the rifle more easily.

I have a very nice 8mm-06 barrel that I'm hoping I can trade for a nice barrel in .308 or .30-06 for this project. I decided I'd rather have a .308 NM sporter then one in 8mm-06 at the present time and I don't have the cash for another project right now.

As far as Turk projects, I have a 24in stainless 7mm Rem Mag barrel from a Remington 700 that I think would be cool to build on a Turk M38. I just turned 18 a few days ago so I can finally drive to the local store and pick up a Turk if they still sell them.

I think a 308 Norma would be REALLY COOL. If you build it on a Turk you can use a Rem 700 -06 take off. You WILL have to do the bolt and probably have to address feeding issues, but you WILL ALSO learn a lot!

Go for it!

DT

There has been much discussion on this subject here in the past.

Do you think magnum turks are okay?

Kenny

Congrats on the birthday Kyle!Now you fit in with the rest of us old farts.Sounds like you got your head on straight.If you go with the Norma mag.,are you going to reload? I like the idea of a 308. Norma too,just 'cause it is different.Jerry

I like the Norma because it has a longer neck...

I also like the "long neck" ctg's. But, because I use lots of cast bullets.... so an '06 is all I personally require. A close friend had a 308 N.M. and was in love w/ it, but, he did not reload, so sadly it went down the road... 'Scuse my ramblin'.. Good luck MV

Do you think magnum turks are okay?

Well, I do think it's worth considering the risks.

I just havent seen anything about Turks that leads me to believe that they're inferior to other K98s safety-wise.

Building magnums on 98 actions is commonplace, I've done them on Yugo actions, I would be comfortable using a Turk for my next.

With all of this said, shooting is a dangerous and risky game that we play. Everyone should know what they're risking before they create a 60,000 psi explosion three inches from their eyeballs.

Well, I do think it's worth considering the risks.

I just havent seen anything about Turks that leads me to believe that they're inferior to other K98s safety-wise.

Building magnums on 98 actions is commonplace, I've done them on Yugo actions, I would be comfortable using a Turk for my next.

With all of this said, shooting is a dangerous and risky game that we play. Everyone should know what they're risking before they create a 60,000 psi explosion three inches from their eyeballs.

I was thinking about the thin chamber walls on a small shank magnum.

I 2nd the happy Birthday. At 18 its good to hear your goals for a building a custom rifle. The .308 mag would be a cool round that not many have. I will add my 2 cents about it and give you something to think about.

There is much work in making a sporter right. Have you built one before? If you haven't, then don't build a mag. Stick with a .308 or .30-06. Here is my reason for saying this. Either of those can be opened up to the .308 norma mag later. The extra work of making a mag for you 1st gun might be a bit to much. Whatever you do good luck to you.

Thanks guys. I'll probably just get a .308 or 30-06 barrel and put that on for now until I get everything else ready and convert it to .308 Norma Mag. Has anyone ever heard of the .30-338? Someone recommended I look at that cartridge but I don't really know how it is any different.

The 30-338 is simply the .338 necked-down to .30, so it's the same base case as the .264 Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and .338 Mag. Dimensionally, it's almost identical to the .308 Norma. .308 Norma brass can be formed from .338 brass. Both are excellent cartridges capable of taking any game on the North American Continent (but then again, I'd make that same argument for the 30.06 as well).

People refer to the .308 Norma Mag as "factory". Sure. You can buy Norma ammunition (Midway had a box of 20 for $53... Ooopps! Guess it's on backorder) or some semi-custom stuff for around $46 a box (http://www.cpcartridge.com/). I consider it a "semi-wilcat", and for realistic economy, a good candidate for re-loading.

You won't walk into Wal-Mart and ask the kid behind the counter for some Norma ammunition. If you want a "factory" .300 Magnum, you need to get the Winchester. You'll have better bullet selection, better availability, and better price.

Both the .308 Norma and 30-338 are handload only options for me. As a handloader, I'd choose either cartridge (I'd lean towards the 30-338 for less expense on the brass and, as a chambering option, the greater likelihood of a 'smith having a reamer). The cost of .308 Norma Brass is $28 a box of 20, and .338 brass is $25 (Midway again). I get plenty of once-fired .338 and 7mm Magnum brass from the range from non-handloading buddies though.

As a non-handloader, I wouldn't touch either; I would instead opt for the .300 Winchester Magnum.

husquavarna magnums were small ring barrel, large ring action I haven't heard of one having problems with them, I have personally test fired 20 150's and 20 200 grs. 300 win mags loads with the cases lubed to increase pressure and have had no warning signs appear on a k.kale 1941 with a rem take off barrel threaded by our own sonic. I haven't done a whole lot on my mausers recently been jumping from one thing to another so it has been only test firing.

just use common sense, this is my experience ,its worth exactly what you've paid for it., check the .300 win turk thread and decide for yourself.

CETME's have gotten my attention as of late

http://www.cetmerifles.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=15485

husquavarna magnums were small ring barrel, large ring action I haven't heard of one having problems with them, I have personally test fired 20 150's and 20 200 grs. 300 win mags loads with the cases lubed to increase pressure and have had no warning signs appear on a k.kale 1941 with a rem take off barrel threaded by our own sonic. I haven't done a whole lot on my mausers recently been jumping from one thing to another so it has been only test firing.

just use common sense, this is my experience ,its worth exactly what you've paid for it., check the .300 win turk thread and decide for yourself.

CETME's have gotten my attention as of late

http://www.cetmerifles.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=15485

Lube on cases does not increase pressure, it simply increases back thrust. A thin chamber splitting has nothing at all to do with lugs & setback.