Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Receiver Hardness

rdfrench31

What people really mean is case hardening or the more modern technique of gas carburising. All of course forms of heat treating and sometimes they get referred to in that generic term. Mausers were made of steel with so liitle carbon that they really cannot be through hardened to any degree thus the need for carbon augmentation. It is the fact that the innards are soft that makes them such great actions in terms of safety.

What people really mean is case hardening or the more modern technique of gas carburising. All of course forms of heat treating and sometimes they get referred to in that generic term. Mausers were made of steel with so liitle carbon that they really cannot be through hardened to any degree thus the need for carbon augmentation. It is the fact that the innards are soft that makes them such great actions in terms of safety.

z1r do you know anybody who would color case a mauser action? I have talked to several smiths but no one would touch the job Maybe Doug Turnbul??

So who would normally do gas carburization. Is it a gunsmithing process or something with industrial applications. I'm not sure where I'd look in Yellow Pages!

I'm just starting my first mauser build and it's not something I had heard mentioned before!

Thanks

Don

z1r do you know anybody who would color case a mauser action? I have talked to several smiths but no one would touch the job Maybe Doug Turnbul??

No, Doug won't do them anymore. too much warpage.

So who would normally do gas carburization. Is it a gunsmithing process or something with industrial applications. I'm not sure where I'd look in Yellow Pages!

I'm just starting my first mauser build and it's not something I had heard mentioned before!

Thanks

Don

I use my own vendor and since I worked out the process with them and have spent time building the relationship, I send jobs to them directly.

Two commercially available vendors are Blanchards and Industrial Heat Treating I believe, both in SLC, UT. You need to be sure that they fully understand what it is they are working woth and what the finished requirements are. If you simply call a heat treater out of the book you may be in for a rude surpise. Also, many will not touch gun parts. Another reason I keep my guy secret.

Another reasoon I send them in is that I gang them. The process costs the same. You pay for oven time so one receiver or ten costs the same. I save my customers money by sending in more than one.

762, you started quite a run for a first post. Congrats.

I'm really curious, do you know what make it is? Are there any mfr marks?

What you are saying makes me think you may be okay as is, but I sure would want it checked by someone who knows about such things.

Barrels usually don't do well in these situations. Get a bit warpy. What does yours look like?

Don, an answer will surely be forthcoming, but the short answer is Blanchards in SLC, but best you talk with z1r.

Brad

Thanks Guy's

I'm on the North side of the 49th parallel and only have one receiver to do. I doubt hat Blanchard's would be an option for me, so guess I'll just limit mods to my receiver. I've done some research, but this was a new issue for me!

Don

Thanks Guy's

I'm on the North side of the 49th parallel and only have one receiver to do. I doubt hat Blanchard's would be an option for me, so guess I'll just limit mods to my receiver. I've done some research, but this was a new issue for me!

Don

Same here...thats why I started this thread. Having the receiver heat treated was something I wasn't counting on.