Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Can Someone Recommend Some Rasps?

911rat

I'm looking for some decent relatively innexpensive rasps for shaping stocks. I was looking at the Pferd second and smooth cut half rounds and the Nicholson #49 and 50. I've heard good things about Nicholson rasps but I understand their quality isn't what it used to be.

Anyone use either?

I'm looking for some decent relatively innexpensive rasps for shaping stocks. I was looking at the Pferd second and smooth cut half rounds and the Nicholson #49 and 50. I've heard good things about Nicholson rasps but I understand their quality isn't what it used to be.

Anyone use either?

I use Nicholson and you also may be interested in Sure Form type tools.

Completely forgot about the surform type rasps.

Don, I'll have to check out Woodcraft again, I can always stop in at Ikea for some meatballs afterward. I went out there some time ago to pick up some Solar-Lux (great stuff) but didn't have time to look around much. If the Microplane wood working products are as good as their kitchen products I'll definately give 'em a try.

So, looks like my new rasp list includes a round and flat surform type and a smooth cut steel rasp? Time to stop using that cheap stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

The Nicholson #49 is excellent, IMO. The 'fine-ness' of cut is easily controlled by how much pressure you apply. Kinda' makes the #50 a 'not needed' item. Files and rasps weren't ment to last forever and they don't. Hard wood is more abrasive than most believe. Even when those Nicholsons were MADE IN USA, I could turn a #49 into a #50 shaping just one stock (from a blank). There is another company, located in France, that advertises/makes fine wood working tools,,,, but I haven't tried them out yet, as I have a good supply of Nicholson 'made in USA" to use up, first. www.ligonier-france.fr