K31 Sporter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle

Kyle
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:21 PM

Anyone ever build a sporter off of a Swiss K31?

To me it seems like a great choice for someone who doesn't have a lot of know how or specialized equipment. Unlike a Mauser you don't have to modify the safety or bolt handle for mounting a scope. The trigger is good enough as is IMO and they are very accurate and well made. The caliber seems like a great choice for hunting medium or large game being like a slightly more powerful then .308 winchester. They also make some nice scope mounts that require no drilling or tapping.

I'm considering building one and I'd like to hear other people's opinions or see photos of their K31 sporters.

#2 Doble Troble

Doble Troble
  • Members
  • 1,706 posts
  • Interests:Making the world a better place to live in.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

It's an excellent rifle. The cartridge is exceptionally well-designed and the one I have is in great shape and very accurate. The trigger needs nothing - its really, really good.

Now for the negatives (these are my opinions and I will entirely respect competing views).

(1) The action is "clunky". Maybe it just hasn't been shot enough (the excellent bore suggests this might be the case). It certainly lacks any sort of smoothness and getting it to function reliably takes a firm hand. I've only used mine and so maybe this is somehow an isolated incident (but I don't think so).

(2) The action is wide. Its "chunky" around the middle and lacks sleekness. This maybe isn't a big deal.

(3) It is not forgiving of variance in neck size and OAL. Mine is tight-necked and short throated. Maybe this is why they're so accurate. You really have to set-up the sizing die properly and I have to seat bullets way into the case. I suspect my chamber is smaller than whatever spec Lee used to make the dies I have. Once these issues are figured-out you can load reliable rounds, but I also suspect that I'll have trouble if I ever want to resort to commercial loads - this will never happen in my case, and I suspect anyone hunting with these rifles in the US will only use reloads anyway. Those reloads will need careful preparation though.

I remember a link from a post on AR to a guy in Europe who did a nice job of sporterizing one of these. Here it is. It looks like he did a great job with it.

If it were me, given the excellent accuracy even with issue sights I wouldn't hesitate to take it out stock loaded with coreloks.

But if you've been bit by bug, by all means try to sleek one up, and don't forget to post here about your adventures.

#3 Indian Creek 1

Indian Creek 1
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:hunting , shooting , gunsmithing

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

[attachmentid=205][attachmentid=206]Here's one I did the cheapy way. Used the original mil. stock added on a side safety I made and whittled a little on the stock . Cut and crowned the barrel just behind the front sight. Shoots great ,handles great. OH!, and I also added the Darrell scout mount.

Attached Files

• Attached File  HQ21.JPG   49.72K   822 downloads
  • Attached File  HQ2.JPG   49.61K   708 downloads

#4 Doble Troble

Doble Troble
  • Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:48 PM

Nice checkering on that birch stock! That's not an easy thing to do!

#5 Kyle

Kyle
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Nice rifle!

I've heard of a K31 converted to .300 win mag. How hard would it be to do that?

#6 Kyle

Kyle
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

Anyone ever tried rebarreling a K31 to a different caliber?

I have no idea about the type of threads used on the K31 but I recently purchased a Remington 700 barrel in 7mm Magnum which I intended to use on a Turk Mauser but I'm curious as to whether or not I could rethread it to fit the K31.

Besides a rebarrel what kind of work would need to be done for the K31 to fire 7mm Mag?

#7 donmarkey

donmarkey
  • Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(Kyle @ Oct 25 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post

but I recently purchased a Remington 700 barrel in 7mm Magnum

This is going to get some mixed comments but, I wouldn't ever build any small ring threaded mauser into a magnum. With the coarse threads of mausers it doesn't leave a very thick chamber wall. And most magnum pressures are up there pretty high compares to what the action was designed to handle. I don't know the barrel threads and shank of a k31 and hope someone else chimes in here.
-Don

#8 Doble Troble

Doble Troble
  • Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

The K31 is a great rifle, but it doesn't have the gas handling design of the Mauser 98. A magnum case failure would be very, very bad news.

#9 Bob S

Bob S
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

There is enough variety of after-market widgets and wood out there to make a successful "sporter" out of a K31 without resorting to cutting metal or wood. Now there is also suitable hunting ammunition for those who do not handload: Prvi Partizan, Wolf, and the "new" FNM (not to be confused with the old anemic FMJ poruguese FNM). Wolf and "new" FNM are manufactured by Prvi Partizan, so it's really all the same stuff.

Rebarreling is possible, but not practical or necessary for hunting purposes. The size of the blank required (over 1.3" diameter", and the integral primary extraction cam on the breech face put this beyond the capability of most riflesmiths in this country:

IPB Image

The only guy that I know that does rebarreling of these rifles is Larry Racine. I've seen his work on Palma rifles, and it is top-notch. His "thing" is across-the-course (XC) rifles and long range and Palma rifles. You can look at his site, and see how he does the job, and if you're willing to pay that much. You'll need very, very deep pockets.

LPR Gunsmithing

Have fun, don't hurt yourself. biggrin.gif

Resp'y,
Bob S.

#10 RGRWJB

RGRWJB
  • Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns!

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the answer Bob.

#11 ShooterTom

ShooterTom

Rock Throwing, Cave Dwelling, Hermit

• Admin
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Knives, Burning Things.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

Indian, That is a nice rifle! Thanks for showing it.

Tom

#12 RGRWJB

RGRWJB
  • Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns!

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

I know Layne from Tenn. Gunparts is going to be getting in some sporter stocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users