Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Erfurt 98

ken98k

They are well-made. I would like to use one on a .257 Roberts. If it is not pitted, go for it. As stated, it is a WWI action and should be restricted to low-pressure rounds like the .257 or 7x57. Having said that, the Model 98 design makes it a far better choice than the pre-98 small rings.

Clemson

I am working on one in 257 Bob. Biggest hurtle so far has been making the stock fit. I used an A&B F14 barrel and a corelite stock. The barrel fitting went fine but the action is loose in the stock. I need to break down and learn how to bed a stock I guess.

Odiesdad:

I have a spare Black Acraglas Gel "Glasbed" kit that you can have free fer nuthin if you want it. It should take care of the gaps in your Corelite stock.

Send me a PM with contact info.

Clemson

Monitor headspace on these frequently because some tend to grow due not to setback but receiver ring stretch. Teh relief cut infront of teh "C" ring is too deep thus the metal too thin in this area. SSome have the tendency to become takedown models. The later made Polish versions rectified this as did later German models. Limit to low pressure rounds and monitor.

The '06 is higher pressure than the 257 or 7x57 but, if this is primarily a hunting rifle to be used a few times a year I see no reason that it ouldn;t be used. Just keep an eye on headspace. Most of teh Polish variants were better made but, they still have less metal in that area than a standard large ring or small ring small threrad mauser.

Regarding the strength of large and small ring M98s. It's easy to confuse small ring M98 action strength with earlier small ring actions (i.e. 93,94,95s). However Mausers derived their strength primairly through metalurgy and a peculiar heat treating process, not through ring thickness.

Mauser's M98a, or Kar98a, was designed to shoot the standard military round at 50,000 lbs. operating pressure, which procduced velocities of almost 3000fps in the 29 inch barrel of the Gew98. Also, these rifles were expected to function in the horrific trench fighting of WWl and were the issue arm for Germany's late WWl assult units which were successful in breaking through the trench defense system used since 1914.

M1893, M88 and M1903 Turks had their front receiver rings altered by cutting a groove in the rear face of the ring and thinning the feed ramp to allow the greater length of the 8mm cartridge. Both of these cuts are the exact opposite sides of the locking lug seats of a closed bolt.

Many other military M98s (i.e. M50 Belgian, Denmark's, Peru's, and Brazil's alteration to 30-06, ect.) had their actions subsatancially altered to accept M2 30-06 cartridges in stripper clips. Sweden produced several models of commercial SR M98 actions in most current calibers, and I believe that the Czechs produced a SR M98 commercial action.

Sporterised military M98s frequently have their receivers altered in the same way to accect .270, .280, and 30-06 cartridges.

The standard FN commercial action has a large amount of metal removed in the magazine well opening in its reveiver bottom, feed rails, feed ramp, and C reinforcing ring cut completely through on both sides in post war actions. If you have a chance, compare both a military LR M98 receiver to an FN LR M98 commercial receiver, I believe you'll be surprised at the amount of metal removed from the FN receiver.

Pre-war commercial Mausers were offered in all calibers with scopes. The base of the forward ring attached to the action through a dovetail cut which completely cut through the top of the forward ring.

Yet nobody seems to question altering (removing metal) from G33/40 Czech carbine actions in spite of the fact that the Czechs removed every gram of metal possible to lighten this action during initial production.

Granted the Kar98a late WWl rifles were produced entirely in the State arsenals of Erfurt (primary producer), Danzig, Amberg, and Spandau were the workmanship was vastly inferior to private industry military production. Still, these actions are probably strong enough for the older 30-06 family of cartridges.

I think the real problem will be finding small shank barrels in popular calibers (although Turk milsurps have almost solved this problem by creating a large demand), pre-cut stocks, adjustable triggers (different dimensions than LG M98s and not interchangable), and scope bases. Bilurey

With the beginning of WW-I the annoying habit of front half of receiver & barrel departing the rear got some attention, and both Prussian Imperial arsenals- Erfurt and Danzig, slowly reduced the clearance,

finally getting a wheel cutter in there so as to reduce the clearance diameter.

These also had attention given to a narrower Carbon range. Near the end

they seem to run at a minimum of 30 rather than 27. When the Poles made a run

of them they had all the info available and these are much better for usage.

The Turks eliminated the wheel cutter, and the cut is full diameter as for the large thread. This

results in a receiver thickness over the top and down the sides that is

about .100 thick.

It was common practice for the unit armoers to check these rifles in the field via a gage and remove them from service when the measurements indicated stretching.