How Do You Hold Things Ia A Vise?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bja105

bja105
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

I think I need one of those receiver holding fixtures, unless the group has a cheap way for me to make one.

What about Mauser bottom metal and floor plates. I have not found a way to hold it securely without warping, twisting, smushing...

Any pics would help.

thanks

#2 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:48 AM

bja105,
Do you mean a standard bench vise, or a milling machine vise?
In a standard bench vise, I have some 1/2" thick black rubber pads that I use for padding. Usually I don't have to tighten down like Conan the Barbarian to get it to hold, although, some times things still creep around a bit.
The strongest place to tighten down on is the part that the trigger comes through, right behind the magazine box, and right below thw trigger bow (when the guard is held upside down). The sides are pretty parallel here as well.
In a milling machine vise, you can put your parallels under this area and you reciever will remain reasonably flat.
Manitou

#3 strait shooter

strait shooter
  • Members
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:I love what all rednecks love. Guns, Food, Fishing, Country music,T.C.O.B, My family and kids, and mainly keeping the government wondering what your up to.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

hey ya'll, I took an old 98 lr barrel ands cut it down to about 10" long screw into the action then lock the shortened barrel into the vise. works for me!

#4 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

strait shooter, good idea! How do you control that the receiver isn't rolled a little, side to side? Maybe with a level?
I can see how parallels would get you square in one axis, but it's the Y axis I'm having trouble with.
Could be a great time saver though.
Manitou

#5 strait shooter

strait shooter
  • Members
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:I love what all rednecks love. Guns, Food, Fishing, Country music,T.C.O.B, My family and kids, and mainly keeping the government wondering what your up to.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

manitou, i have a magnetic 4way tee level i mount on it. i then scribe and paint an index on the short barrel. thatwould put it upright each time. Dave

#6 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Ahhh, I thought that there might be a level involved. That's the road that I would have taken as well.
Good idea!

#7 724wd

724wd
  • Members
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:guns (duh, ya think?), autos, models, woodcarving

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(bja105 @ Feb 11 2007, 06:07 AM) View Post
I think I need one of those receiver holding fixtures, unless the group has a cheap way for me to make one.

What about Mauser bottom metal and floor plates. I have not found a way to hold it securely without warping, twisting, smushing...

Any pics would help.

thanks

i am building a receiver holding fixture right now. i bought a hunk of scrap steel about 10 inches long, 1 inch wide and 4 inches tall from the local steel house bargain bin. that and a chunk of same sized aluminum was $5 total. now i am on the hunt for a chunk of round stock that is close to the diameter of a mauser bolt.

then, it's just a matter of drilling and tapping some holes!

#8 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

Here's what I made to hold the receivers. I like some things about it, but other things I would like to be different.
It sure holds a receiver steady, but I have to use a dial indicator on the round bar to true it up, and this takes time.
Attached File  P2110052.JPG   863.38K   225 downloads

Here is the same fixture with a receiver installed.......
Attached File  P2110053.JPG   847.72K   195 downloads

I hope this works, I'm not to good at the uploading of pictures.

Manitou

#9 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Oh, and the round bar is about .705. Now don't make to much fun of my finishing skills, I'm still learning about these centerfire contraptions. I'm certainly no donmarkey or racepres or z1r or slseacrist. Now I know I left at least three or four talented people out, but it's not intentional.
Can you see the detents in the round bar where I drilled the scope mount holes?

#10 donmarkey

donmarkey
  • Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(Manitou @ Feb 11 2007, 09:07 PM) View Post
Here's what I made to hold the receivers. I like some things about it, but other things I would like to be different.
It sure holds a receiver steady, but I have to use a dial indicator on the round bar to true it up, and this takes time.

Manitou

I have the same problem with the wheeler jig I used to use. But I use a indexing jig and a receiver mandrel for truing the outside and removing the changer guide now.
-Don

#11 mac10

mac10
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(strait shooter @ Feb 11 2007, 10:56 AM) View Post
hey ya'll, I took an old 98 lr barrel ands cut it down to about 10" long screw into the action then lock the shortened barrel into the vise. works for me!

I hate to mention this, but you have just manufactured a shot barreled rifle. Have you bought your tax stamp?

#12 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

I beleive I saw your indexing charger removing guide, and it's a beauty.
That's the one where you can rotate the receiver 15 either way, and keep the proper radius, right?
Pretty impressive.
Well done.

#13 donmarkey

donmarkey
  • Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Manitou @ Feb 11 2007, 10:14 PM) View Post
I beleive I saw your indexing charger removing guide, and it's a beauty.
That's the one where you can rotate the receiver 15 either way, and keep the proper radius, right?
Pretty impressive.
Well done.

No I haven't ever posted it. I'll try to get a pic on it tomorrow, it's the same type that Mark Stratton uses. You can rotate the action in 1deg intervals. You can use it in a surface grinder or in the mill as I do.
-Don

#14 ken98k

ken98k
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Boating, Jeeps, and MAUSER rifles

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(strait shooter @ Feb 11 2007, 09:56 AM) View Post

You should plug and weld the muzzle end and drill hole through the chamber to make sure Uncle Sam doesn't think you have a "short barreled rifle".
Kenny

#15 Racepres

Racepres
  • Members
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Firearms, Motorcycles... I drink a bit!!!

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(mac10 @ Feb 11 2007, 10:13 PM) View Post
I hate to mention this, but you have just manufactured a shot barreled rifle. Have you bought your tax stamp?

However If you weld the bore shut, you have a tool again!
BTW Manitou, I do not deserve to be considered on a level w/ those [and others] names here!! If there is a "Bubba" here it is me! I like your fixture!! Thanks for sharing it.. MV

#16 724wd

724wd
  • Members
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:guns (duh, ya think?), autos, models, woodcarving

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:38 AM

my fixture will look very similar. and i may have found a piece of metal to use for the round stock.... a bolt i bought on ebay is trashed and with some modification, might just work!

#17 odies dad

odies dad
  • Members
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:guns, shooting, cars, family

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

This is the system I use. The steel block on the bottom sandwiches the receiver to an aluminum strip that rests on the bolt raceways with some socket head bolts. This gives me plenty of room for drilling and tapping or other receiver work.
I also made my own receiver wrench that I can use to hold the receiver for reaming the chamber by hand.

#18 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

racepres, "Bubba's Unite!"
Seriously, I try not to be a bubba, but I've got a long way to go.

odies dad, my reciever wrench looks much like your's, but the long part on the bottom of your's, I have cut short and threaded a 1.00" rod to the center, perpendicular to your handle. I can already see the advantages of your system because I had to re-do my handle once already. Your handle looks very strong.
I'd post pictures of my barrel vise and receiver wrench, but they're at work, and I'm at home. Work is where I take barrels off and put new ones on, but they don't like guns much, and I have to be somewhat discreet. I don't hate them for it, i just am more clandestine about it.
Thanks for all of your pictures. I love this forum...............

#19 odies dad

odies dad
  • Members
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:guns, shooting, cars, family

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

I usually need to put a 3-4' piece of pipe over the wrench handle for some extra leverage. I will tear the vice off the bench before it will bend this thing.

#20 Manitou

Manitou
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

I also put a big "Cheater" pipe on my action wrench, but I put my barrel vise in the hydraulic press at work, and it helps hold the barrel.
I don't know if I mentioned this on this forum, but I will put one wrap of double sticky (carpet) tape between the barrel and the bushing, and it realy helps eliminate slipping.
Not the foam backed tape, but the fabric backed tape that is thinner and tougher.
I don't think that the foam type would work as well.
Manitou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users