Model 50 Sears Fn Mauser

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 redoak

redoak
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

On the topic of hard chrome lined bores, does anyone know of a current source for that service? I have an excellent condition 1909 Argentine barrel, but it has been rechambered to 30-06. It occurs to me that if chrome plated, it might make a very durable, servicable 30-06, and be about the correct bore diameter.

And I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but who is a relaible service for re-heat treating M98 military bolts and receivers? Is Blanchard's in Salt Lake still a good one?

Thanks

#22 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, good beer and things that make people think.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (redoak @ Jul 11 2008, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the topic of hard chrome lined bores, does anyone know of a current source for that service? I have an excellent condition 1909 Argentine barrel, but it has been rechambered to 30-06. It occurs to me that if chrome plated, it might make a very durable, servicable 30-06, and be about the correct bore diameter.

And I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but who is a relaible service for re-heat treating M98 military bolts and receivers? Is Blanchard's in Salt Lake still a good one?

Thanks

Blanchards is still good.

#23 plumbum

plumbum
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

chrome-lining a used barrel, I have never heard of.

#24 AzRednek

AzRednek
  • Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (plumbum @ Jul 12 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chrome-lining a used barrel, I have never heard of.

Friend of mine inquired about it several years ago. The local gumsmiths told him it would cost more than a new chrome lined barrel to have it done properly. He had a non-chromed barrel from a AR-15 parts kit. Although it shot just fine he has that type of personality and accesorized his black rifles and plastic hanguns with all the latest gadgets. Guess he wanted the chrome bore more for show and tell than any practical reason. He located a company in Los Angeles that specialized in chrome plating for automotive restorations. The price although I can't recall how much was reasonable but the only way they could (or would) do it was by chroming the entire barrel inside and out, not just the bore.

In the 70's I had an Argy that was reamed out for the 06. I just loaded it with .311 and .312 bullets and it shot just fine. With .308 bullets the accuracy was ok, fine for deer hunting through the issue sights but not that great on paper.

#25 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, good beer and things that make people think.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

You could find a real nice takeoff barrel in .30-06 for far less than it would cost to chrome the bore, if it is even possible (I think, lol). I'd try just what AZ says, load up .311" bullets and you should do well. Heck, even properly loaded hadnloads with .308" bullets will likely produce good enough minute of deer accuracy.

#26 redoak

redoak
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for all of the good advice. I am planning a knock-around rifle for use in Alaska, and a chrome lined bore should be almost rust-proof. Az, do you recall who in LA your friend may have contacted about plating the entire barrel?

#27 plumbum

plumbum
  • Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

redoak, the art of plating inside a barrel is far beyond most plating shops. if you want a rustproof barrel, then get a new chrome-lined barrel and have the outside duracoated.

#28 AzRednek

AzRednek
  • Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (redoak @ Jul 14 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Az, do you recall who in LA your friend may have contacted about plating the entire barrel?

Afraid I don't, I do know he located them through them while doing auto restorations in San Diego. If you know or have anybody in your area that does or deals with auto restorations they could probably give you a lead.

#29 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:26 PM

Those JC Higgins barrels turn up for sale quite often. I sold one earlier this year.

#30 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

Here's one now. Cheap too. http://www.gunbroker...?Item=104796135

#31 Sailormilan2

Sailormilan2
  • Members
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:Rifle building, shooting, computors, airplanes

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

Remember also, that hard chromed bores cannot be reamed. Well, actually they can, however it takes a special reamer to do it. When the military used hard chromed bores, they mounted the barrel and then tried various bolts until one headspaced properly.

#32 CrazyIrishman

CrazyIrishman
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hi Walnut,

I'm not able to see your pictures due to the "dreaded red X", but it appears that after reading all posts, you do have a very nice rifle.

If it seems that while trying to fix your stock its really a dead end, may I make a suggestion?

Go to Richards Microfit Stocks and have them cut you a new stock using your old one for a guide. They have several grades and types of wood to choose from. Their website is http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

I haven't used them yet but I will be getting a stock from them for my 98 Mauser !

HTH
CI

#33 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

CI,

Do yourself a favor and don't get a stock form Richards. I'd fix my broken JC Higgins stock before having Richards make a stock. Their seconds are good for learning on but if I'm paying good money it won't be to Richards. There are many better stock makers out there.

#34 CrazyIrishman

CrazyIrishman
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:03 AM

z1r,

Who would ya suggest for stock work that you don't need a second mortage for? I was going to buy a blank and have Richards turn it. However, if they do questionable work I would definitely go else where.

Elk Ridge appears to be out of business, and others I've looked at want to do an entire rifle for mucho dinero!

Thx,
CI

#35 walnut

walnut
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Guns, reloading, shooting &amp; hunting.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

You might give Great American Gunstocks a look. It really depends on how fancy you want to get. I picked up a classic style for a 98 in Myrtle off their bargain section for $100.00. I wanted to try Myrtle - something new for me. The stock isn't bad. They sent me some Myrtle scraps when I asked for free. I wanted some stuff to practice finishing / dying etc.
I'll repair the Higgins stock to death before I give up - it has neat wood. I jokingly call it a 300.00 dollar stock lesson and they threw in the barreled action! I've been busy with work, a friends Corvette, another friend's .22 and just stuff in general. I've been taking pictures as I work the insides so when it's fixed I'll post.
Ron

#36 donmarkey

donmarkey
  • Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (CrazyIrishman @ Sep 8 2008, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
z1r,

Who would ya suggest for stock work that you don't need a second mortage for? I was going to buy a blank and have Richards turn it. However, if they do questionable work I would definitely go else where.

Elk Ridge appears to be out of business, and others I've looked at want to do an entire rifle for mucho dinero!

Thx,
CI

SHULIN STOCK WORKS
Ed Shulin
16511 Co. Rd. 75.1
Trinidad, CO 81082
Phone: 719-846-2301

That would be my first recomendation, there are a few others too. Richards wouldn't even be on my list.
-Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users