Small Scale Rifle?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 montea6b

montea6b
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:26 PM

Let's say one were to decide to try to make a roughly half scale Springfield musket using a cast off Mauser barrel. What would be the best source of a side-plate/lock assembly? Are the pistol locks scaled down enough? The Philadelphia Derringer lock doesn't look like the right shape to pull off a close enough scaled down look. How tough would it be to reverse engineer the assembly on my Thompson Renegade and fabricate one from scratch? Anybody aware of a high quality die cast toy that could be used as a pattern? Are dimensioned drawings available?

#2 ken98k

ken98k
  • Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Boating, Jeeps, and MAUSER rifles

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Check out these miniatures-
http://www.waynedris...miniatures.com/

#3 montea6b

montea6b
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

That's what I'm talking about! I'd love to be able to create something like those. My thought in going with a muzzle loader is that it would be easier to scratchbuild a miniature lock and breech than it would be to machine an authentically scaled action.

Another thought I've had is to use a Chipmunk .22 kids rifle as the basis for a Mauser or Springfield style small scale rifle. Not an exact scale model, but stylistically very similar, and shootable to boot.

#4 ken98k

ken98k
  • Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Boating, Jeeps, and MAUSER rifles

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (montea6b @ Feb 17 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I'm talking about! I'd love to be able to create something like those. My thought in going with a muzzle loader is that it would be easier to scratchbuild a miniature lock and breech than it would be to machine an authentically scaled action.

Another thought I've had is to use a Chipmonk .22 kids rifle as the basis for a Mauser or Springfield style small scale rifle. Not an exact scale model, but stylistically very similar, and shootable to boot.

I've thought about the chipmonk as well. I twould be kool with a manlicher stock.

#5 montea6b

montea6b
  • Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (ken98k @ Feb 18 2009, 04:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've thought about the chipmunk as well. I twould be kool with a manlicher stock.

I've seen one in a checkered manlicher stock, it looked really nice. That's another idea I had, was to just face lift a Chipmunk. Make it look like a shrunken custom Mauser, i.e. shadowline cheekpiece, ebony tip, skeleton grip cap and butt plate, etc. Would make a nice father son project... if only I didn't have 3 girls!

I was thinking about the Springfield musket because I have a round cast off Mauser barrel to use. (I have plenty of tomato stakes already...) However, a Hawken style rifle would be fun to try. I'm scared of trying to grind/file in the barrel flats without a mill. Anybody ever done this by hand before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users