Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7.62x39 Small Ring Mauser Project

lemski4

Several years ago I decided to build a small ring Mauser in 7.62x39. I collected parts for quite a while, and finally barreled it up, another couple of years go by and I finally stocked it and finished it. Well I took it out to the range the other day and got some promising groups, 1.6" @ 100 yards with round nose 30-30 type bullets( it's all I had around the house at the time ). I think there is a lot of room for improvement with better/pointed type bullets. Any way I'm going to take this rifle hunting this December.

MVC-051F.jpg

MVC-052F.jpg

MVC-053F-1.jpg

MVC-054F.jpg

MVC-054F.jpg

This rifle was built on the cheep I have 215.00 in it Plus the mount, rings, and scope.

Rivitir: I got my parts from several places. Barrel from gunparts new unknown maker 28.00 action from gunshow, trigger Midway, safety Brownells, stock from my Dad.

Ken98K: The spacer block is a piece of nylon, and I have a plastic follower with a wire spring. It works but I don't like it. Will be changing it out to a metal follower and flat spring. I do think I'll make a longer ejector for it.

I like it. Very nice. Probably more useful if you could make it cordless.

Darn corded rifles...alway limiting your range... :P

That's a nice looking sporter. Good way to recycle a Spanish action and great price tag!! I guess the saying "patience is a virtue" is real.

metzgeri

• 4 months later...

Maybe you do for the 1,000 White tail deer that you here about, but I've never seen one that big. A 22LR and good shot placement will get them down, but not legal here. 7.62x39 with good hand loads and good bullets is comparable to a 30-30, which is plenty good for a average size white tail deer.

• 3 years later...