Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Synthetic Mannlicher Mosin In Duracoat

I started this project over a year ago. My friend runs a fabrication shop. He cut the barrel and recrowned it. I lengthened an ATI stock with epoxy putty, all thread in the middle for support, and then strengthened with fiberglass. The bolt handle was modified and a butterknife handle was added. I put a Timney trigger on the rifle. It was sandblasted and today, I shot it with Duracoat Snow Gray. It is one of a kind. Some purists won't like it. I have to figure out what to do for sights or a scope.

Here are the pictures:

DSC_9262.jpg

DSC_9263.jpg

DSC_9264.jpg

Hey John, good to see you back. Great job to say the least!! I'm no purist by any means but I just can't see a conventional scope on it. Wish I had the knowledge on how to do it but I bet it would really look sharp with iron sights. Might look good with a forward mounted short, long eye relief pistol scope. I'm sure somebody will jump in here with sight suggestions. Gun Nutty is right on. You need to punch some paper then let us know how well the Timney Trigger performs.

If you don't get any sight suggestions here you might want to drop it by Walt the gunsmith at 67th and Dunlap and see what he can do. I have an AMT Hardballer I took to him. The adjustable rear sight went airborne and most the parts took a permanent hike after the hold down screw sheared off. I took it to, two other smiths that couldn't help unless I wanted to buy an entire slide. Walt had it fixed and back to me in a week. He claimed he replaced the rear sight with a used adjustable sight off of a Ruger he bought for parts.

An IER (intermediate eye relief) scope would look splendid on the front ring. Pistol scopes are generally IER by definition, no?

I have a Burris 4X compact in my collection... Don't see those listed on their current price list, or any fixed power Burris rifle scope for that matter.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/handgun1.html#15x4x

That 1.5X-4X looks like a dandy with a nice range of eye relief.

Well, I think I made up my mind on the sights. I am going to order a Williams peep sight and canibalize it. I will have a dovetail cut into my cocking piece and remove the peep from the base. The dovetail on the cocking piece will act as the base since it will have a dovetail. The front sight will be a Williams long ramp in the greatest height. I will order a few different height blades, as I bet I will need a pretty high front sight. The side to side play in the cocking piece should not make a big difference under 100 yards, I would think. This will just be another unique feature of this rifle when I am done. Envision a dovetail runing the length of the top of the cocking piece, with a slight upward angle. I would have the knob turned down to remove some weight. Take the base off of this sight and install it on the dovetail.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Products/p_962100037_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brownells.com/1/1/6884-wgrs-receiver-sights-wgrs-legend-fits-modern-muzzleloading-legend-wolverine-williams-gun-sight.html&usg=__1q0IgP5qbAjJlK2uYqDcdIjm2_g=&h=400&w=400&sz=23&hl=en&start=6&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=2nxle2EpY6a8iM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwilliams%2Bwgrs%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1419%26bih%3D731%26tbm%3Disch&ei=TPvrTfzfDojW0QG9o7G9AQ

Is there enough metal in the cocking piece to dovetail a rear peep sight securely? It seems like it may be a little thin. There is a lot of preasure put on this area when the bolt is worked and it snaps forward pretty violently when the gun is fired. I think the front sight blade would have to be outlandishly tall to make it work regardless. Just thinking out loud.

KC

Is there enough metal in the cocking piece to dovetail a rear peep sight securely? It seems like it may be a little thin. There is a lot of preasure put on this area when the bolt is worked and it snaps forward pretty violently when the gun is fired. I think the front sight blade would have to be outlandishly tall to make it work regardless. Just thinking out loud.

KC

I won a williams WGRS peep sight for a Ruger .44 mag carbine and it arrived today. I am having the cocking piece turned to remove the knob, since I have a Timney trigger with safety. The top of the cocking piece will be milled for the peep to slide on. If the sight has too much movement, I'll have a spot weld put on each side to take up the slack and minimize the movement.

• 4 months later...

I won a williams WGRS peep sight for a Ruger .44 mag carbine and it arrived today. I am having the cocking piece turned to remove the knob, since I have a Timney trigger with safety. The top of the cocking piece will be milled for the peep to slide on. If the sight has too much movement, I'll have a spot weld put on each side to take up the slack and minimize the movement.

I came up with a new thought tonight about sights and optics. I already have the rear peep sight. I am thinking of mounting a Weaver side mount base on the sideof the receiver. I could use the Weaver scope mount with it to mount a scope. I could remove it from the base with 2 screws, and still have the base mounted on the side of the receiver. I could mount the WRGS peep I have on another, similar style mount that would screw into the base. The mount for the peep would center it over the bbl and would be high enough to clear my bolt.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

He sent me a sneak peek. He thought the old cocking piece was a 61 on the rockwell scale and was unable to drill and tap. He also was unable to dovetail the cocking piece. He used an epoxy they had at their machine shop that isn't common. I guess it is used in automotive applications? We'll see how it holds up. He said the sight would have to be machined off if I wanted removed. Sounds like that is a strong bond!

b929a1cb.jpg

That is kind of surprising. Easy enough to spot aneal while protecting the sear with anti heat paste. That is how I fit sights to mauser cp's and just use a hss dovetail cutter. Are mosins thru hardened? I figured they would be cased like most guns of that era. I'm not familar with mosins isn't the lower lug the sear? That's no where near the area he mounted the sight on. But with epoxies now days, should be just fine anyway.

Don

• 2 months later...

I know I'm a little late for my 2 cents but here it is. I like the duracoat job, I may use that one on mine. Here is a pic of what I have so far.I used a Remington 1100 scope mount so I can still have iron sights for shorter distances.

post-7349-133981774167_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

The final stages of this 3 year project are here! I had a friend modify the butterknife bolt handle and had a tall front sight mounted. I got an old Sears scope and my friend ordered me a scope mount as a surprise. It should be mounted next week. The rear sight was epoxied, but is now drilled and tapped. It will act as a backup ghost ring sight.

ADEEDB46-0857-44BA-AAC5-58FEF4ED72AE-168

EA06E96B-9E65-4E66-A12B-67443AEA5E64-168

The bolt handle definately looks better.

Seems a bit of a waste to put a scope on it after all you work installing open sights. Nice rifle either way.

Looking forward to your range report.