Well, I do owe the group an update. It isn't always pretty what happens in gunsmithing!
When I test fired the .250 Savage barrel, I noted striations on the case. What I had thought was dirt in the chamber was actually chatter marks. I had never had a reamer chatter on me, and I did not feel this one chattering during the barreling process. You can see those striations in the chamber in the photos above, I just didn't look until I test fired the piece.
It took me about 2 months to get the reamer reground by the manufacturer. It was a brand new reamer, and they reground it for free, but.....
I had hoped to recut the chamber one thread deeper, and the Japanese action is 14 threads per inch, so that was pretty simple. Unfortunately the chatter did not clean up. Time for plan B. I ran a 257 Roberts reamer in to clean up the chamber. That worked, and the Type 38 action works fine for the 257 Roberts. Also, it is much easier to find ammunition for the Roberts than the .250 Savage. Unfortunately, I had to cut so deep to clean up the chamber, that in the end, I had to scrap the breeching and recut the threads altogether. Now I have to redo that setup for cutting the extractor and bolt nose grooves. I don't know when I will get around to it, but I need to do it so that I can get this gun finished and recover my investment!
So the trials and tribulations of an off-the-wall class project continue! Amazingly enough, I am on tap to teach barrel fitting at the Gunsmithing School again beginning in August. I think I will use more conventional actions for the class this time around. I do have a Sako L461 action that needs a new, Stainless Steel barrel in .223. Hmmmmm