Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sporterizing Martini Henry

Thanks to a mention by Tombstone in another thread I went to the SOG site and saw they are selling the British Martini Henry rifles. Over the years I've seen very few at gun shows that have been sporterzied. I know collectors probably wince at the idea of cutting one but I think the single-shot action made for a rimmed cartridge opens up some real possibiltys. I assume they could be made into something utilizing a low pressure classic cartridge or something along the lines of 44 mag or 45 Colt. I've got to many in the works to take on another project but just curious, has anybody ever sporterized Martini??

I know I'm way out in left field to even consider it!! I keep thinking the new 50 cal. Smith & Wesson would be kind of cool in a single shot. I don't know for certain and just speculating that the 303 Martinis were made for Cordite and not black powder. I'm really trying to dig into my memory but I think the sporterized Martinis I saw were chambered into something along the lines of 22 Hornet or 219 Zipper. Does anybody have any idea of a Martini's pressure limits??

The 22 Hornet sporters you saw were probably made from the 310 Martini Cadet rifle. These were training rifles. Many were sent to Australia. The 310 cartridge is similar to the 32 Long. As far as I know, no 310 ammo is availible. Frank DeHass describes the convertion to 22LR, 32-20, 357 Mag, and 22 Hornet in the NRA's Gunsmithing Guide book. A possible source for small action Martinis is Thad Scott http://www.thadscott.com/

Thad has many BSA Martini 22LR match rifles for sale.

Two of the problems of sporterizing Martinis is scope mounting and stocking with a pistol grip shaped stock.

Scope mounting is easy. You just attach it to the barrel. Bigger problem is the ejector designed for the massive rim of the .577-450 round.

The Cadets are sweet looking rifles though.

I must have missed them, they certainly are beautiful and really make a statement of your skills. I'm just determined to finish what I've got before taking on another project. After seeing your's though I will be looking a little more carefully for Martinis at gunshows.

Pedestal,you Martini's impress the heck outta me.Beautiful rifles! lots of years ago,when good gunsmiths were building rifles from Mausers,the great gunsmiths with big names were building guns on Martini actions.I've always thought Ruger copied those custom guns when they came out with the No.1 and No.3.That was my first thought when I saw my 1st no.1,they copied a Martini.You guys have a lot to teach me about Mausers before we get off onto something else.Jerry