Can Someone Recommend Some Rasps?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 911rat

911rat
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm looking for some decent relatively innexpensive rasps for shaping stocks. I was looking at the Pferd second and smooth cut half rounds and the Nicholson #49 and 50. I've heard good things about Nicholson rasps but I understand their quality isn't what it used to be.

Anyone use either?

#2 ken98k

ken98k
  • Members
  • 2,439 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Boating, Jeeps, and MAUSER rifles

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm looking for some decent relatively innexpensive rasps for shaping stocks. I was looking at the Pferd second and smooth cut half rounds and the Nicholson #49 and 50. I've heard good things about Nicholson rasps but I understand their quality isn't what it used to be.

Anyone use either?

I use Nicholson and you also may be interested in Sure Form type tools.

#3 donmarkey

donmarkey
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Next time you are my side of town, swing over to woodcraft. They have (at least had) a nice selection of microplanes. That and scapers. They are over at ford and lilly.
Don

#4 lemski4

lemski4
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

#49 cabinet rasp, a # 50 if it's a little finer than the 49 may be helpful as well.

#5 911rat

911rat
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

Completely forgot about the surform type rasps.

Don, I'll have to check out Woodcraft again, I can always stop in at Ikea for some meatballs afterward.  I went out there some time ago to pick up some Solar-Lux (great stuff) but didn't have time to look around much. If the Microplane wood working products are as good as their kitchen products I'll definately give 'em a try.  

So, looks like my new rasp list includes a round and flat surform type and a smooth cut steel rasp?  Time to stop using that cheap stuff.

#6 daboone

daboone
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

The Shinto Plainer/saw/rasp is an excellent upgrade to a surform.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users