Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Metal lathes

ken98k

I'm looking into buying a metal lathe, mabey a Grizzly 7"X 12" mini lathe. I'll mostly be theading blanks and turning reciever faces, etc.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

The 7 x 12 will work well for facing receivers and for turning blanks of military and light, maybe medium profile sporter barrels. If you can swing it cost-wise and moving it-wise, a 12 x 36 will be able to do just about anything you'll want to do.

Of course then you'll start needing a mill. :)

If you can swing the price this is a great machine for the gun tinkerer.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9972Z

The mini-lathes are good little machines but notice the emphasis is on little! There is a lot more you can do with one than most folks who've never actually had one realize, but it is still handicapped by it's size and capabilities. Considering that the greatest assets of a lathe in a gunshop is for barrel work and that most barrels are twenty-plus inches long and 3/4 or more in diameter and the minis are almost out of the game before you unpack it. I have one I bought years ago (a Homier) and use it a lot. I use it for small things that don't require a lot of set up or high precision. It's likely paid for itself in screws I've made on it. One other benefit of buying from Grizzly is the tooling that is included with their machines. Order a couple tool bits and a tailstock chuck with the (larger) machine and you'll be ready to fit a barrel blank the day it arrives. At least one person (here) has said he wasn't satisfied with his Grizzly but he's the only person I've ever heard say so - and that was one of their minis.

Of course if price is the determining factor you have two options. Buy the mini and live with or work around its limitations or put its price in the bank and keep saving until you CAN afford the larger machine. This was discussed here recently, look the thread up.

Kenak,

Here's advise I'll relay straight from a professional machinist: Buy the biggest lathe you can get your hands on. And, If you're buying a used one, take someone along who knows what they're looking for. He furthered with a warning of how expensive a lathe can be - he said figure just as much cost for tooling. That said however, you can find some pretty snazzy deals on big professional lathes with lots and lots of tooling if you look hard enough. It seems the whole world is converting to CNC machines and relegating manual machines to garage use. But I guess that works out all the better for us, right?

Sonic,

That's a nice lathe. I'm going to buy myself one of these one of these days. I primarily want to do firearms work and buying a lathe to do what I want is truly stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny, but...I guess once you own the hammer, you discover a great many more nails that need hit!