Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shaving With A Double Edge Safety Razor

Jimro

About two years ago my brother in law gave me his grandfathers Gillette double edge safety razor as we cleaned out he grandmothers house. So it sat around for a while until I finally decided to get some replacement blades and test it out.

The PX carries blades for $1.49 for ten. So with a new blade I gave it a shot and was amazed at how well it worked. You can buy premium blades from Germany, Japan, or Israel for about the same price per blade on eBay. Haven't tried any premium blades yet, but some blades from Japan are on the way, along with some more razors to give as gifts to my Dad and brothers.

So I started doing research on the net to find out more about shaving the old fashioned way. Turns out I'm not the only one. Evidently a bunch of other "young guys" are going the old fashioned "wet shaving" route. My wife likes the "kissable smooth" that comes from a really close shave. Turns out shaving well is dieing art.

Anyways it got me thinking about how there is a "quiet retro" movement going on elsewhere in our society. The 8x57 Remington "Classic" that came out. The renewed interest in the 9.3x62 and 45-70 cartriges. I don't know whether it is people trying to maintain a connection to our past, or whether it is a societal backlash against modern marketing.

And I figured that the folks here all have a penchant for doing things the old way. So I ask, "What do you do that is old fashioned that beats any of the modern alternatives?"

Jimro

Old fashioned...hum.

I collect guns..I support the nation during wars..I teach the students to sing "God bless America"

I am married to the same girl for almost 30 years..I drink coffee not Latte (sp) I have been known to read the Bible..

Gad, I AM a dinosaur. : )

Karl :rolleyes::D

It seems that just about everything I do is considered "old fashioned" by today's generation. But that's OK. I just tell them, "You do your thing, and I'll do mine".

fritz

A few years ago after clearing out what was my granparent's house I came across and old injector razor and later an injector unit with a few blades. I even found an old sceptic pencil and a dried out tub of soap along with a lather brush. I used the Gillette injector Blue Blades and would still be using them today if I could buy them. I learned to shave using a GEM razor. The GEM used the single edge blades similiar in size to the double edge blade but a single edge similiar to the cutting blades sold today in hardware stores. The GEM type razor blades are also known as as coke knives.

Some of my bathroom decor. How the hell this wound up in a gun newsgroup I'll never know!!

raz-1.jpg

raz-2.jpg

I learned with a safety razor and conned Santa Claus into a Norelco electric razor for Christmas.

However, if you ever have time and a little extra money to spare, the barber shop I've gotten my haircut at for the last ten years also offers a straight razor shave that is second to none. If I could afford to splurge on it all the time, I'd never shave with anything but a straight razor shave again!

I grow a lot of our vegtables and my wife cans or freezes them.I put a couple deer every year in the freezer that I shot and processed myself.My wife canning with a pressure cooker is pretty old fashion.I wish I could send every one of you a jar of her blackeye peas.My Yankee neighbor from Ohio said he didn't think he could eat peas,because they were cow feed where he's from,but yesterday he ask me if I was going to plant more peas than last year.Jerry

I used to shave with a straight razor. I once shaved with my Dawson model 99 knife after a friend sharpened it. Then I quit shaving for about ten years while in school. Mostly to p-off the school, I think. Now I use one of those Mach 3 things, as I'm back in the "business" world where full beards and Harley shirts don't fit too well and my beard turned from red to mostly grey anyway.

Lessee, what do I do that's old fashioned? I'm building my own car from scratch. I fix just about all my own stuff. I make my own beer (brewed a batch of Hesselbrau last Sunday, it's fermenting as I type), I make my own bread from scratch although I got lazy and use a bread machine now, my "new" bike is now 21 years old, been married to the same woman for 20+ years, plus the stuff we all do here like make my own bullets and other gun related stuff.

AZ,

In that photo, there was a shaving brush. I remember when my sister had an estate sale to sell off some of the stuff in the old house (that I am now living in). When she put out the shaving brush that my father had used for many years, I took it immediately.

I am sure that someone would have bought it, but some things are not for sale. Now, if I could just convince my sister of that.

fritz

I wear a beard now, but when I was shaving I used a doubled edged safety razor, (never could get used to an electric). I also used a shaving mug, brush, and round bar type shaving soap. Use real hot water and you get hot lather. Works great! Cheaper too! Old fashioned? Who cares? I like it and you get a good shave, what more can ya ask for? If I decide to shave in a year or 2 that stuff will be there waiting, the soap will last for years dry, just soak in hot water fora few minutes, and its back to normal. i've done it before. Some things are hard to improve on. take care, Steve

<_< old fashioned huh? let's see. I 've loved the same girl for 40 years. huh that's it for now. When the mind wakes up I'll think of some more. Dave :rolleyes:

I gotcha beat, Dave. Me and mrs fritz have been married for 42 (going on 43) years now.

And yeah, I forgot our anniversary last October. But she did too, until one of us (the person shall remain anonymous) remembered it. It was not too late to celebrate, and we did.

That is what comes from old age, whether it be old-fashioned or not.

fritz