Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Latest Poll

Spiris

I see the latest poll which covered around 1300 people (probably the same bunch of liberals that they always choose) indicated that 81 percent say the country is headed in the wrong direction especially with the economy. Just what the hell direction do they want to go. The main problem as I see it, is the cost of energy that's driving the loss of jobs and foreclosures of homes and inflated cost of goods and services. OSAMA BIN LADEN said that he would destroy this country from the inside by economic means and the Arab countries now at around $110 dollars a barrel for oil and OUR OWN GLUTTONY is making it a reality. The oil companies are enjoying record profits and half the country drives around in 7-10 MPG SUV's.

We need to implement a crash course in the production of Hydrogen producing fuel cells and vehicles utilizing the technology. Right now the major manufactures are only toying around with the concept on a small scale. I'm sure the oil companies do not want to see us filling our tanks with water and are reluctant to back anything like that. The ethanol deal is just a temporary joke on us. The farmers won't grow corn or other crops that they can't make money. It won't be long before you'll pay $5-$6 for a box of corn flakes for breakfast. And so it goes.

OK, i'm done ranting for now. :angry:

Spiris

I see the latest poll which covered around 1300 people (probably the same bunch of liberals that they always choose) indicated that 81 percent say the country is headed in the wrong direction especially with the economy. Just what the hell direction do they want to go. The main problem as I see it, is the cost of energy that's driving the loss of jobs and foreclosures of homes and inflated cost of goods and services. OSAMA BIN LADEN said that he would destroy this country from the inside by economic means and the Arab countries now at around $110 dollars a barrel for oil and OUR OWN GLUTTONY is making it a reality. The oil companies are enjoying record profits and half the country drives around in 7-10 MPG SUV's.

We need to implement a crash course in the production of Hydrogen producing fuel cells and vehicles utilizing the technology. Right now the major manufactures are only toying around with the concept on a small scale. I'm sure the oil companies do not want to see us filling our tanks with water and are reluctant to back anything like that. The ethanol deal is just a temporary joke on us. The farmers won't grow corn or other crops that they can't make money. It won't be long before you'll pay $5-$6 for a box of corn flakes for breakfast. And so it goes.

OK, i'm done ranting for now. :angry:

Spiris

The long term solution of course is lessening our dependence on fosil fuel, especially that supplied by foreign sources. However, in the short term the solution is easy: Increase fuel economy standards. The same fools complaining about how expensive gas is keep buying/demanding cars with bigger engines and poorer fuel economy. The reality is that everyone bitches & moans but very few do anything about it.

I'm pissing and moaning about the gas prices but given the choice of high prices or dealing with the shortages we had in the 70's I'd rather have the gas at $3 and change. I remember very well waiting in line, sometimes for hours and then being limited to 5 or 10 gallons. As far as the way the country is going Jay Leno said it pretty well. "I've got running water when I turn on the faucet, electricity when I turn on the lights and there are no bare shelves at the grocery store".

I'm currently having a hell of a problem with finances and dam near loaded my pants yesterday when the $100 limit per purchase on my Shell card kept me from completely filling both tanks on my pick-up. It is hard to point the finger and place the blame on anybody or anything but if the Democrats are elected and entitlement programs and spending increase. I expect to see the same kind of inflation as we had during the Carter administration. If the govt tries windfall profit taxes on the oil companies and price controls as they did during the 70's all it will do is dry up supplies and create a black market.

I'm pissing and moaning about the gas prices but given the choice of high prices or dealing with the shortages we had in the 70's I'd rather have the gas at $3 and change. I remember very well waiting in line, sometimes for hours and then being limited to 5 or 10 gallons.

If you will remember (We're both gray headed! :( ) they were talking about $3 gas back in the 70's. I remember it well. I was pumping gas in a station during summer between freshman and sophomore years in college. We usually closed at noon. Considering inflation, our gas is now cheaper than then.

I remember the truckers threatening to strike, the way they are now. Youngsters with a 2 year old baby, we determined not to starve; so we went to the store and bought 50 lb of rice and 25 lb of beans. "We'll show them, ha ha". Wife commented on that the other night as we watched the news about latest truckers' threats. We celebrate that baby's 35th birthday today. We survived the gas shortage back then, and we'll survive this one. What shortage? There are no lines at the pump yet.

I'm sure the Dems are all over the latest report that unemployment hits "all time" high at 5.1%. Seems somebody's memory is short. They don't remember double digit inflation, double digit interest and double digit unemployment of the Carter era. Carter was famous for double digits.

The problem is, the bulk of voters this year are youngsters who don't remember those days. They really believe the Dems' squawk about "wrong direction" and "change".

Oh, one other thought. That hydrogen solution is not quite as easy as filling the tank with water. It's the fuel cell that's going to cost. There are prototypes being sold and serviced in California, New York and Washington D.C. as we speak. They are coming, but there are some bugs to work out. They will not be any cheaper to operate, just make us more energy independent from Arabs.

Question: What are the Arabs going to do when we get independent from them, and then their oilfields eventually dry up. I watched West Texas dry up. And there fields will too in time. China will drain them dry and they'll be back to riding their camels instead of their Mercedes.

Like Thor and AZ,this fuel thing we're going through is an old story for us older dudes.In '71 and '72,gas went over a dollar a gallon and was rumored to go to $3.00,so everyone started carpooling and buying smaller cars.This went on for a while until people finally had enough,quit flying because tickets went outa sight,stayed home more using less gas,and bought lots of storable grociers and made less trips to the grocery store.Everything was effected by the price of fuel,just like now.Some little raghead country seen the demand for their oil going away and thought they were headed back to goat herding,so they said to hell with the o-peckers,and drasticly cut the price of their oil and started booming again.The larger producers saw this and cut their price per barrel to match them,and the bottom fell out of oil over night.Just like airline tickets.When one carrier cuts the price on round trip tickets,the others match it to be competative.If Americans would all stay home Memorial Day weekend,no road trips or flights,I think it would wake up the oil companies and ragheads.My Dad and me were talking one day about fuel prices and he said that when he first started buying gas it was 12 cents a gal.,and lots of times when he wanted to go to town on Saturday night,he had to steal gas to go.Mother told him not to say things like that,that he really didn't steal gas,but he winked at me when she wasn't looking.Any of you old codgers know what an Oklahoma credit card is.Maybe just a Texas thing. Jerry

Oklahoma credit cards were in abundance out here when I was a kid. They came along in the great migration. Even we non Oklahoma-Americans learned how to use them adeptly from our Oklahoma-American bretheren.

When we had money, 100 octane (remember that anyone?) was $.27 a gallon. Life was good - in a sucky sort of way.

Brad

Here's a link to some homemade Brown's gas generators (HHO) that can be utilized to supplement fuel mileage. Some of these are being sold commercially, mostly as informational packets for $50-$200 on the net right now. They simply run a line to one of the vacuum lines and depending upon your degree of sophistication such as buying map sensors designed for this, mileage estimates show an increase from 15-40 percent FROM WATER. You will see ads for the commercial ones on this site. The guy in the videos shows from a rather crude start to a more usable generator and he takes it step by step. It might interest some as it did me.

http://www.mefeedia.com/user/support2/queue/

Spiris

Telling the attendant to fill-er up with ethal,and him washing your windows and checking the oil is a thing of the past.Way past.Green Stamps and bubble gum for the kids was given at some stations. Jerry