Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Swede Model 96 Question

Clemson

I am a gunsmith -- not a collector. That said, I bought a nice Model 96 rifle this week. It is all matching except for the cleaning rod. The slotted end of the cleaning rod won't even start down the bore. It seems to be made for a larger caliber barrel. The rod itself measures 27 1/2 inches long. Every micrometer and caliper that I own is apparently back at the shop, so I can't give you the tip diameter. The rod correctly screws into the threads at the base of the hole. What is the proper length of rod for this gun, and where am I likely to be able to get a correct one?

Clemson

This sounds like a vast, right wing conspiracy. What are we all doing with cleaning rods that won't fit the darn bores? There has to be a logical answer.

:huh: Clemson

This from a Sarco add:

SWEDISH MAUSER

CLEANING ROD EXTENSION

Screws on to the end of the rifle’s cleaning

rod. The other end of this short extension

piece is threaded to accept standard U.S.

cleaning jags and bore brushes. At last you

can actually use the rod that comes with the

rifle! New U.S. made. $4.95 ea. MSR269

The slotted end of the cleaning rod is for use in cleaning the chamber and to use as a handle for the rod when the adapter is added to the rod. I assume when using it as a handle something is passed through the slot to grasp.

Vlad