Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Length Of Pull For Son's Custom

mr fixit

I am about to order a stock for my youngest son's first rifle. He is 11, and small for his age. I think he will end up grown at around 5'6"- 5'9" or so.

Right now, he has a measured 11 1/4" LOP.

The Rifle I am building will be a full stock, trim Mauser with 20" barrel.

I am thinking of ordering a semi-inlet with a finished LOP including 1/2" pad of 12 or 12 1/2". Later I can add a 1" pad to make a 12 1/2" or 13" LOP.

I am asking thoughts and opinions on that, as well as suggestions.

Mr Fixit

Why the "cradle-to-grave" concept for the rifle?

Were it me, I'd designate the rifle as a youth/lady's rifle, and plan for a LOP of no more than 12.5". You can scale down the dimensions, thin the wrist, and make an elegant, dedicated rifle that can be passed down to other family members or used to inspire those that would normally be intimidated by a larger rifle.

Starting today, you'll have a good excuse to start planning a full-sized rifle that he can graduate to. I'm guessing 4 to 5 years should be enough time for a truly outstanding piece, in the caliber of his choice.

Just my thoughts...

i assume since its going to be a full stock rifle that it will also have a european style swept back grip& slightly longer wrist. with a swept back grip & wrist you'll need to add at least another inch of lop over an american style stock. i would order it with a 13 1/2" lop then shorten it to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

i assume since its going to be a full stock rifle that it will also have a european style swept back grip& slightly longer wrist. with a swept back grip & wrist you'll need to add at least another inch of lop over an american style stock. i would order it with a 13 1/2" lop then shorten it to fit.

Quite right. I'm planning on an "Old Classic" style from Richards Microfit. I know I know, but I've ordered twice from them before and got what I wanted. Anyway, Old Classic full length "Mannlicher" style forend. No palm swell at all. And I did decide to go with a 13" LOP and then cut to fit.

Now if I could just get Richards on the phone.....