Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another 257 Bob Imp.

lemski4

This rifle has been one of my favorite rifles for A number of reasons. It'll take care of most everything in my neck of the woods, and it is fun to shoot to boot. I put a Douglas barrel on it and filled in the thumb notch, and hung a nice trigger on it. It shoots well under 1/2 MOA @100 yards.

MVC-005F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

It was a Timney Featherweight Deluxe trigger. It is a very good trigger, only I don't like the side safety. I'd rather have a safety blocking the cocking piece rather than just a sear block safety, just my opinion. The stock started life as a bishop before it went on a diet.

• 4 weeks later...

That brings back good memories.

I got a light varmint taper Lothar Walther 257 barrel through Brownells in 2002 and made a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved on a VZ24 action.

I had tried for years to get a 1" group.

That rifle was a break through for me.

That rifle averages 1.2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with 115 gr bullets.

That rifle averages 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with 100 gr bullets.

That rifle averages 0.8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with 72 gr bullets, but has shot a .45" group.

Clark:

I usually shoot a 3 shot group for a hunting rifle. My light load I use Hornady 87grn. Sp's, and my heavy I use 120 grn. Hornadys, both loads using H-380. You might inspect your bedding, and may want to try a pressure point.

Gotta love the internet.