Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Flying Wild And Gold Rush

dindvik

I watch gold rush. It is kind of interesting, I only have one say. "What are they thinking?" To gambel on their familes safty. Uproot the wife and kids and take them to a gold camp in the wilderness. Useing water from a stream without any decontamination or purafication. DUMB! They should have been more conserned with mineing than with building cabins. Make the money then bring up the families. Better yet learn how to mine first. When it is all said and done this will be a "seamed like a good idea at the time" story. To have thought thing through would'nt have a good story. I wonder how maney other guys with their back aginst the wall are thinking they could do it better?

You know that net works are looking for the next reality hit. I have been thinking of something to pitch as a new series. Maybe a blind midget that fights crime, rescues abused dogs from their bakery. Wait isn't that already on TLC (The Learning Chanel)?

Ralph

i've only seen a bit of FLying Wild. it didn't really hold my attention. GOld Rush, well, what can a sane person say but WTF?! Those have to be the most unqualified humans on the planet! what a bunch of maroons! or may morans! the amount of time and money they wasted is criminal! they'd have been better off just panning the creek bed. if they have ONE MORE meeting about some retarded crap, my God, they should be sent packing! The claim owner should give them the boot, and fast, before they destroy the whole claim. i like how they rely on the morphine addict to 'fix' all they junk, but when someone with actual experience shows up, he gets majorly bent out of shape.

it's like a train wreck. i don't wanna watch, but cant look away!

anybody watching and what do you think?

I've been watching them both. The Gold Rush comments so far are pretty much spot on.

As to Flying Wild, I'm curious as to just how essential flying stuff around is to life in Alaska. They make it sound as if the no one can function without them. What did Alaska do before the bush-plane? There must be some alternatives in many cases.

T

One thing those of you non-Alaskans should keep in mind is these shows are for entertainment only. The film companies making them are getting huge tax incentives from the state.

The flying show is a real airline but much of what they show is highly edited.

The miners are idiots and are NOT ALASKANS.

The ice road drivers have been run off by real truckers. Lisa was only there because a cute little blond always helps the ratings.

The majority of the dangerous fishermen are not Alaskans.

Sarah Palin is a multi-millionaire, unless you are too; forget about taking Sarah style AK vacation.

I agree with ken, don't know how much of the drama queen stuff is just for the camera.But ihave to sayabout 4 years ago i work for acompany out of coo's bay or.We putting up 7 steel building at air ports all over western alaska.Now i have never quit a job in my life. After putting up 4 of them you would think they would start to catch on, all these building where the same,and every time it was like starting over. after the 4th. one i had to quit or i was going to beat somebody up.did anybody see the flying high one where they fly the explosive charges for the harpoons that cost 20,000 bucks man for dumb.

As to Flying Wild, I'm curious as to just how essential flying stuff around is to life in Alaska. They make it sound as if the no one can function without them. What did Alaska do before the bush-plane? There must be some alternatives in many cases.

T

Before the bush plane all shipping was done by riverboat or dogsled and in a few cases, horses.(hard to care for horses in the winter)

Also many of the indigenous people were semi-nomadic, therefore many of the villages did not even exist 100 years ago. Since the white man convinced natives to give up their subsistance lifestyle and live in towns and villages many can only be reached by air.

Well gee...I guess I'm not critical enough. I watch both shows and find them entertaining. I also watch Sons of Guns and find it entertaing - pointless and lacking substance - but entertaining none-the-less.

Entertainment is really the only reason I've kept my Dish Network subscription all these years. I stay so darn busy with the other gillion things I do that its nice to turn on the TV once in a while and sit and be entertained. 90% of the stuff on TV these days is BS anyway - at least Discovery has some entertaining stuff to show that doesn't suck like everything on network TV.

Well gee...I guess I'm not critical enough. I watch both shows and find them entertaining. I also watch Sons of Guns and find it entertaing - pointless and lacking substance - but entertaining none-the-less.

Like I said "entertainment only" on par with The 3 stooges.

These shows have very little in them that is "reality"