Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Got A Life Back

manureman

Howdy boys! Been a few years since I posted anything,after my turkey barns fell in that big snow in 06 I started driving a truck to keep the family fed, mostly hauling heavy equipment.I ran all 48 and Canada and one trip to Alaska.It was an adventure for a farmboy that hadn't been anywhere but Missouri his entire life but living in a truck and never being home got old quick.Thankfully I've got a great family we were able to keep the farm thats been in my family since before the Civil war and thanks to as fine a son inlaw as a man could ever hope for I've still got a cow heard.I landed a driving job that gets me home every day about a year ago and after more than a year of 18+ plus hour days working to get the farm up and running again We got'er did minus the turkeys.And life is good again.I thank God every morning I get to see the sun come up here around home and not out the windshield of a Peterbuilt thousands of miles from home.And today I'm like a kid at Christmas,I'm going to a gun show for the first time since my barns went down.Hope to find a Mauser of some kind,man is it great to have a life again! You'all have a good one,cause I'm fixin to have a ball. Jim

Welcome back Jim.

Thanks for the good news...that made it a fine way to start the day.

I am glad to read that things turned out well for you and the family.

Good luck at the gunshow..hope you find a fine k-98 at a good price and a lot of ammo.

Karl

Thanks guys,gunshow was a good one bought a turk I didn't need but need doesn't have anything to do with it and the price was right also picked up a lazer for my ruger lcp.Then my oldest daughter and her husband got babtised this morning so I've had a dandy couple days. F.C. I dont see myself getting back in the turkey business at my age,when I started propane was 17 cents a gallon and a big electric bill was 200 dollars a month,my last electric bills averaged 2000 a month and propane was almost 2.00 a gallon and turkeys are paying about the same as back when I started and I payed for my barns in 8 years.I dont think a young man would ever live long enough to pay for what those same barns would cost to build back today if the turkeys had to make the payments.I miss it and am not tickled about working for some one but its not all bad.I've got weekends off,insurance,vacation....so I'm enjoying sittin on the porch and watching my calves and grandkids grow it really aint bad at all but having to work for another man is kind of a bitter pill to take.