Military Firearm Restoration Corner

96 Swede - Good Candidate?

rustvyper

I've come across the opportunity to buy a crudely sporterized 1917 Carl Gustav mauser 96 in the orginal 6.5x55 for less than $200. I've always wanted a 6.5x55 for personal use & from what I've read, the 96 is one of the best small ring actions there is. The bolt was poorly done & the safety even more so, but the D&T job looks proffesional. It's in a cut down military stock & the orginal barrel is on there. As I understand it, the 96 barrel didn't have barrel steps, except for the one at the front site which I'll remove anyway. I won't get a chance to shoot it, & the bore looks dull. It might be ok, just in need of a good electro cleaning.

I'm looking to do this on the cheap. Do you guys think this is a good candidate?

Rustyvper

Sounds like a good project to me. The origional barrel did have steps. They were probably removed. If the barrel cleans up good it should make a good hunting rifle. I would clean the barrel and shoot it to see if it is good. Aftermarket stocks are avaible for the Swedish Mauser. Pics as you progress please?

Bob

The way prices on milsurps are going, I would say go for it.

As I understand it, Sweden no longer has stock piles of these rifles to release, so whatever is out on the market now, is all there is.

A new sporter barrel can be had for less than $100 from Midway.

I have really been won over by the 6.5X55, along with the 7X57.

Despite the craze for magnum cartridges that has dominated the American shooting scene since the 1950's, the 6.5X55 and 7X57 are adequate for nearly all American big game, particularly in the hands of a competent marksman.