Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Claw Mounts

rmcnabb

I'm interested in the two piece claw mount system sold by Accumounts.

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/class1/German/German.htm #9 from the top, "Double Claw Sniper Scope Mounts".

It looks like an excellent near perfect copy of many of the civilian claw mounts used on civilian sporters in Germany and England. Has anyone seen these in person?

The rear ring looks in the photo like a solid single ring - is it not split to accept a scope with a rear bell? How could you mount a scope onto the rear ring if it wasn't a two piece ring?

Thanks for any help.

they are a semi split ring design and are made for 26mm german scopes. they do sell a shim kit to use with 1" scopes and the scope will have to be dissasembled to install the rings. the leupold custom shop will do this if your using a leupold scope but i'm not sure who you would have to send it to for other brands of scopes.

i have clawmounts on a springfield 1903 and a set of mounts and rings from clawmounts.com for another project.

for accumounts to sell them for $240 shipped they would have to be very good with their cnc's and sell a ton of them but i cant find a picture of a single set of them installed

they are a semi split ring design and are made for 26mm german scopes. they do sell a shim kit to use with 1" scopes and the scope will have to be dissasembled to install the rings. the leupold custom shop will do this if your using a leupold scope but i'm not sure who you would have to send it to for other brands of scopes.

i have clawmounts on a springfield 1903 and a set of mounts and rings from clawmounts.com for another project.

for accumounts to sell them for $240 shipped they would have to be very good with their cnc's and sell a ton of them but i cant find a picture of a single set of them installed

Thanks very much - I also have a set of clawmounts.com mounts on a custom 1909 Argentine I had built. I like them very much but they don't look as authentic as these do.

I can't find any installed either. I've read great things about how nice their various mounts are but disassembling the scope may be a deal breaker. I typically use Weaker K3's or similar steel tube scopes and I think you'd have to remove the entire adjustment mechanism.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

I'm interested in the two piece claw mount system sold by Accumounts.

http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumount/class1/German/German.htm #9 from the top, "Double Claw Sniper Scope Mounts".

It looks like an excellent near perfect copy of many of the civilian claw mounts used on civilian sporters in Germany and England. Has anyone seen these in person?

The rear ring looks in the photo like a solid single ring - is it not split to accept a scope with a rear bell? How could you mount a scope onto the rear ring if it wasn't a two piece ring?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there, I'm a new member to this forum but would like to share some opinions re. "finished" claw mounts. I must first of all say that I havn't seen the mentioned mount from Accumount in person, but what I do have is experience from having made 1,500+ claw mounts on all type of firearms.

Making and installing German claw mounts requires that you know how to fit the various parts to the firearm/scope, it's essential that everything is centered to the bore and fit of claws to bases must be very precise. The scope must also not be in stress in the mount, this causes vertical stringing. The bases must be fit to each individual action, so that they are exactly in 90' to bore in all directions, then the front rings footplate must be fitted to the ring for a perfect fit with smokelamp and needlefiles. The claws must be fitted so that the bottom of the ring fit 100% to the top of the footplate, with zero play sideways and up and down. If fitted correctly, the scope when mounted in the front ring, now points at or very near center at 100 m with front ring fitting 100% to the footplate with no stress. The rear ring height can now be determined by measuring the distance between the rear base top to scope tube, measurement should be within 0.002", again making sure front ring is in 100% contact with footplate, and no stress. Then ringheight is milled and last the locking is fitted to rear ring/base, again with 100% fit in base recesses and locking slide. If done correctly, scope can be put on and off with no impact change and no stress on tube/action. There's a lot more involved in fitting, but this is a brief explanation of the process.

With this said, I doubt that a "finished" claw mount will be satisfactory for anything but looking correct of the WWII period, there simply is to many variables in the measurements of the action, remember that these actions very ground and polished by hand many years before CNC machines, and a few thousands less or more here and there will result in poor fit of the claw mount in regard to the "finished" CNC machined/fitted bases/rings. It might work, and it looks like the old type mount of the period, and last it cost less than 1/8th of the real thing.....

Hi there, I'm a new member to this forum but would like to share some opinions re. "finished" claw mounts. I must first of all say that I havn't seen the mentioned mount from Accumount in person, but what I do have is experience from having made 1,500+ claw mounts on all type of firearms.

Thanks very much - that puts things in perspective.