Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Drill Bits.

ghost95

Hello all, I am in the process of drilling and tapping a couple mauser receivers. I ordered some #31 drill bits from Midway for about $1.99 each and so far have not had any luck with them. They don't seem to cut very well. What is a good bit that I should be using for doing this work? Is there a supply for these bits that have a higher quality and better cutting edge? Thanks for pointing me in the right dirrection. C

Hello all, I am in the process of drilling and tapping a couple mauser receivers. I ordered some #31 drill bits from Midway for about $1.99 each and so far have not had any luck with them. They don't seem to cut very well. What is a good bit that I should be using for doing this work? Is there a supply for these bits that have a higher quality and better cutting edge? Thanks for pointing me in the right dirrection. C

Sometimes I have had to "spot grind" through the tuff outer shell of mauser receivers. For this I use a pointed dremel stone mounted in my drill press. You only need to grind a few thousandths, then you can easily drill with your #31.

I've already used a cupped wheel to remove what was left of the Crest so that should have cleared the case hardening. I used plenty of oil and the bits were brand new. I had the press set to a slower RPM so I thought that should be right but I had to use a ton of pressure to get these bits to cut. I practiced on a receiver that I found a crack in so I haven't done any damage yet. After the issue with the bits I changed over to a Black and Decker bit and it cut fine. I'm not sure what went wrong with the first 2 bits. Any Ideas

I removed the remnants of the crests with a cupped grinding stone so I think the case hardening is gone. I used plenty of oil and a slower speed on the press but it still took a ton of pressure to get the bit to cut. The thing is that I cut the rest of the way through with a cheap Black and Decker bit. I don't understand what I did wrong. Any Ideas? I'm using a drill and tap jig with drill bushings. A slow RPM on the drill press and plenty of oil.