Photo

30-30 Mosin Nagant ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Guest_roscoedoh_*_*

Guest_Guest_roscoedoh_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:42 AM

Strangley enough, I proposed doing just this not two years ago and back then, everyone thought I was nuts.

Funny how things change...

I still like the idea of an open sighted Mosin carbine that uses .308" bullets. Put it in a Mannlicher style stock and use a Mannlicher or Enfield bolt handle - blued - and go shooting.

Jason

#22 swamp_thing

swamp_thing
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

Jason, when I did my first sporter on one of these almost three years ago, seems everyone I knew thought I had lost my mind. Of course, it goes without saying you cannot lose what you don't have!! Now, almost three years later I am seeing more and more of them being done. I think it is like anything else, when you flood the market with specimans and give it some time, people will start to think of ways to change and improve on them. They may never be as commonly sportered as a mauser or even and enfield, but there is a certain amount of folks that will do so. As time goes on and more aftermarket parts begin to show up for them, it will be more common than it is now. They do make a dang fine rifle with the right work. When the finished product pictures appear on posts and others see what they can be, it will help them to take the plunge as well. swamp_thing

#23 tinkerfive

tinkerfive
  • Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Guest_roscoedoh_* @ Dec 26 2005, 11:42 AM)
Strangley enough, I proposed doing just this not two years ago and back then, everyone thought I was nuts.

Funny how things change...

I still like the idea of an open sighted Mosin carbine that uses .308" bullets.  Put it in a Mannlicher style stock and use a Mannlicher or Enfield bolt handle - blued - and go shooting. 

Jason

View Post

Jason

In our conversation you'd mentioned the concern that someone who might later
get the rifle, load it with a 7.62 (.311) X54R.
Later it occured to me that you might stamp the chamber with .308 X 54R.
At least if you stamp the chamber as such someone with a lick of common sense
should at least think twice about what they try to load the rifle with.

I mean if a rifle chamber is marked 7MM - 08, you wouldn't try to load a .308 into
it would you?

tinker

#24 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, good beer and things that make people think.

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

If you use a regular reamer with a .308 barrel then using standard 7.62x54 ammo would be fine. I might be inclined to go this route simply for the option of using factory/surplus ammo. My main interest would be for the better bul;et selection in .30 caliber vs .31. I'm not into match grade that much.

If you opt for the tighter necked version specific to a .308 bore then stamp it 7.62x54R (.308 bore).

#25 roscoedoh

roscoedoh
  • Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Firearms of all type, the Outdoors, fast motorcycles, hunting, bow hunting, fast cars, cold dark beer.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

All,

The plan as I remember it was to come up with a reamer that would cut a long throat similar to the throat in my 30-06 that would allow a .311" bullet to squeeze down to .308" diameter should someone try to chamber a real 7.62x54r. This is what Ruger used to do with their Mini-30's and what I'd do should I ever decide to tackle a job such as this. I would of course duly make the barrel for the proper bullet in the exact manner Tinker suggested or simply:

7.62x54r
Warning: .308 Bore. Uses .308" bullets.

Or something similar. I think that if I could find an engraver to properly execute it, this would look great.

I am presently debating whether or not I'd actually care to tackle such a job as I still have too many Mausers needing my time and money, I am looking to ramp up the quality of my end results by about an order of magnitude, and I honestly don't even have the time to do any of it presently.

Still, I think it would be a fun and rewarding project and one that the average joe could do in only a little spare time and one that can get done cheaply. The only expense really is getting someone to thread the barrel and cut the extractor cut in the breech face. The rest is almost plug 'n play and even cheaper when you consider that Lee sells a die set that comes with a .308" expander ball. Couple that with a Lee .308 crimp die and you'd be in business...

I do try and tackle this, it'll be one of those "after I find a job" projects. Who knows when that'll be?

Jason

#26 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Guns, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, good beer and things that make people think.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

Jason,

For me, this would be a project to tackle only after I've built all the Mausers I have and run out of actions. Simply put, no matter how much you pump into these they will still only be a MN. Nothing against them so don't take my comment out of context, but a Mauser they ain't.

Quite frankly, I've lost interest in projects just for the sake of having a project. I have way too many irons in the fire already.

#27 roscoedoh

roscoedoh
  • Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Firearms of all type, the Outdoors, fast motorcycles, hunting, bow hunting, fast cars, cold dark beer.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

I have way too many irons in the fire already.

You sir, tell no lies!

#28 z1r

z1r
  • Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(roscoedoh @ Jan 4 2006, 05:48 PM)
You sir, tell no lies!

View Post

wacko.gif

#29 roscoedoh

roscoedoh
  • Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

Pardon me, for it appears I've made a fox paws.

Perhaps I should have said, "you speakith the truth on this matter."

All else may be relative to the listener... ph34r.gif

biggrin.gif
Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users