Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Trading In The Helwan

karlunity

Trading in the Helwan.

I am looking at a small 9mm by Taurus that has good reviews.

As i dont need three 9mm I have a P-1 I am thinking of selling the Helwan

We have:

The Helwan

3 mags...2 are after market

a holster mil type and cleaning rod.

Some holster wear..the bore is excellent and the body g to vg

what is a good price? I am thinking about $200.

Doctor Hess.

if you want another Helwan let me know before i hit the pawn shop.

karl

I know shipping and the FFL thing is a pain and that is why I am thinking the pawn shop who does my FFL.

But as I have known you for a while and you were kind enough to help out on the kidney thing;

I had to give you first right of refusal. : )

karl

Karl, 200 bucks a good price but I doubt a pawn shop will give you that much. Generally hawk shops will give you 50% of what they believe they can sell it for. I watched over a pawnbroker's shoulder as he checked prices on Gunbroker. Check out Gunbroker's completed sales in the advanced search. It will give you a good idea of what it is worth.

here is what the Taurus compact 9MM is fetching in my neck of the woods. The store front dealer gets 10-20 more for the 40 cal version.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/256-taurus-pt-111-millennium-pro-g2-9mm-121-double-action-pistol-black-polymer-frame-picatinny-rail-nib/31085566

Thanks Az but i decided to keep the Helwan.

It is not a problem gun for a gentleman who understands it's nature, indeed, it is a good gun.

For someone who does not..it would be like selling a pinto.

Guess I just gotta keep it.

karl

Karl my gut feeling is steel or metal framed handguns will become scarce and pricey in 20 or so years from now. The only thing I dislike about mil-surp 9MM's is the need for hotter ammo. I can't say for sure but my guess is ammo manufactures are lowering the pressure on 9MM ammo because of all the Plastic Fantastics on the market. Same as the ammo manufactures had to do in the late 70's with 357 ammo.

My Helwan feeds fine with anything I give it. I have loaded up 92 GR 380 bullets because that's all I had around and it feed/functioned fine.

I think the going rate on a Helwan is in the $300-350 range. I suspect that all "the boys" coming back from "the sandbox" took notice of what the locals were carrying. The Iraqis even had their own local manufactured copy.

I could be wrong about mil-surp 9MM's. My experience with a P-38, P-1, Sig and a Star that I owned. Wouldn't run unless I used +P or hot handloads. I shot a Helwan about 20 years ago. Commercial reloads wouldn't eject cleanly but some mil-surp ammo ran perfectly. I think but could be wrong the surplus 9 was Swedish.

Friend of my son worked in drug enforcement in the Sand Box. He intercepted a bunch of Helwans, Hi Powers and another I can't recall the name of. All taken from returning GI's in his search for illegal drugs. US soldiers were not even allowed to return with souvenir bayonets.

From what my son's friend told me. Officers were randomly selected but nearly all enlisted and medical people regardless of rank had their duffle bags searched. Best I recall from our conversation. Nearly all with souvenirs were allowed to walk unless somebody had what he thought of as an illegal weapon like full autos, AK's or something that may have been removed from one of the numerous presidential palaces. He was more concerned with finding drugs or somebody leaving with a large amount of gold.