Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Had A Surprise Visitor Last Night

AzRednek

Being barefoot up for a drink before retiring for the night. I was surprised how fast and far I made this half crippled body jump. Picture was taken after I squished him with a shoe. Pretty tough external skeleton. I'm just glad I saw him before my dog. My dog is always searching kitchen floor for dropped crumbs. One sniff and his nose would have likely swollen up considerably. I've been stung twice in my lifetime. The first 30-90 seconds on a 1-10 pain scale is an 11+. When I was about 11 or 12 I suffered for about a week. As a stupid kid I mowed the lawn barefoot. I knew my ol'man would have kicked my butt if I told him how I did it so I didn't say anything. I've had this house since 75 and lived in it apx 50% of the time I've owned it. First time I found one here. First time in several years Phoenix is experiencing below freezing temps. I guess he sneaked in seeking warmth.

P1010012.jpg

Uh-Oh that's a Southwestern Bark Scorpion. The most venomous variety in the USA.

Don't think so, the Bark Scorpions are considerably smaller, this one was about 3 1/2 inches long. The rule of thumb, the smaller the deadlier. My X-wife got nailed by what was likely a Bark Scorpion about 25+ years ago and spent about 4-5 hours in the ER. The ER nurse sent me back to get the squished bug but there wasn't enough left to positively ID it. They shot her with Benedryl and Codeine or something for pain and hooked her up to a heart monitor. By the time an anti-venom was located. Dr didn't believe it was necessary or worth risking the possible deadly side-effects. My X, a 60's flower child had a weird fondness for pain meds and may have exaggerated the symptoms to get more Codeine or what ever it was they gave her.

I discovered the source after killing another last night. I dragged in two of my wife's potted outside desert plants to save them from freezing. I put enough Black Flag on them to kill a horse and surrounded the plants with sticky mouse traps. I could care less now if the plants survive the freeze or bug spray shower. With heavily gloved hands they are back outside as of an hour ago.

OK, I will put up with the snow and cold.

I don't even care for spiders, say nothing about those nasty critters.

They are rare in Arizona and I've only seen two in my lifetime. Wolf Spiders as big as your hand. Most are about 2-3 inches in diameter but the big ones are so large you can see their eyes. They are timid and usually run when they detect motion. Their bite is painful but not deadly.

Years ago when cock and dog fighting was still legal in Az. A Wolf Spider was often put up against a Tarantula. The audience most often illegals from Mexico would wager on the battle. From what I've been told both bugs usually die from the fight.