Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Up Date On Ammo And Gun Supplies

karlunity

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valle...00351049990151

Here's a sample snatched from another board, where it was first brought to my attention.

RR

Quote:

A local gun shop here went to Texas for Industry meetings for the gun shortages. This is what they were told and they posted it to their face book page. I copied it and now I'm going to paste here. ( told them I was doing so) They also said that there would be more updates *shrugs*
Here you go. From their page:

Status Update
By Valley Guns II
Attention F.B. fans: to follow will be several IMPORTANT Info updates about the status of the gun industry currently, followed by an INVENTORY UPDATE: 1) We traveled to Texas for Industry meetings concerning the shortages, here's what we were told. Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages. RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days. FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1. Remington-Maxed out! Armalite: Maxed out. DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product. COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's. LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels. Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind. AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rnds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line. MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags, do not expect any large quanties of magpul anytime soon. RELOADERS!!!! ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes....it could be 6-9 months b/f things get caught up. Sorry for the bleek news, but now we know what to expect in the coming months. Stay tuned, we'll keep you posted. To follow is our inventory update for 1/26/13. Please share this info with your shooting buddies. Shoot safe!

karl

I saw it coming. Right after Fox News crowned Obama I went to my computer and ordered primers and powder. I'm in good shape for at least a year if I continue shooting at the same rate but could easily last years if necessary. Being a cheapskate I ordered and got S&B SP primers at a sale price. So far they are reliable shooting but jam up my loader's auto primer feed and seem to be inconstant in size. Some slide right in others take considerable force to seat properly. The important thing is they go bang and so far so good. Just wish I hadn't been so cheap and bought the higher priced Winchesters. Any of you that are bullet casters NOW is the time to begin hoarding lead. No telling how long before commercial jacketed bullet supplies return to normal.

I'm not looking to buy a new firearm anytime soon. Still playing with my SP101 in 327 fed., Sig Sauer GSR 1911 in 45 acp and Glock G20 in 10mm. All bought within the last 6 months or so. I am kind of set on reloading supplies. Only out of standard small pistol primers. I do have plenty of most needed components.

The only new gun I purchased, getting the last one in stock was a tactical 12ga semi. The ATF and Obama can restrict imports by bureaucratic decree without Congress' approval. Due to my poor health and weakened condition I moved my 870 pump back into the vault and the new semi resides behind my headboard. I keep it loaded with ball and buck loads.

I just found out my favorite gunsmith retired due to a bout with cancer and chemo. I'm going to have to find another that can install a mag tube extension on the semi as I'm limited to 5 rds. The Turkish made Benelli clone uses Beretta choke tubes and I have a spreader tube ordered and on the way.

The Tri Star clone functioned 100% with 2 boxes of mild dove and quail loads and apx 30 various slug and buck loads. Not a single hick-up.

Only out of standard small pistol primers. I do have plenty of most needed components.

Locally small pistol primer traders are getting 3-1 trades for other types. I saw an ad asking 3-1 for small rifle but his ad is still running so I can only assume he is not getting any takers or possibly just failed to remove his ad. There seems to be a trend with 45ACP being made with small primers. I wonder if other large bore calibers are going to follow.

RELOADERS!!!! ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes...karl

Hopefully the Eastern European and former Soviet Union makers will fill the gap in primer supplies. During the previous shortages I purchased and shot a thousand Wolf brand large pistol primers. Price was fair and I didn't have a single dud. The only duds I can attribute to primers I've had in the past few years were Remington.

http://www.lolosportinggoods.com/

Running this place is what I have been doing since early 2010. It is quite a bit different than the retirement that I imagined, and why I seldom have time to post. It is fun though.

The above post is pretty accurate. I was in Texas too. The only thing I can add is that today I received a shipping notice for several thousand primers. They are CCI and pretty much cover the CCI product line. Small pistol primers have been difficult to find for 6 months at the wholesale level. So things are looking up.

The dealers that receive supplies will be the ones that have been good customers for the wholesale reps. Reps reward those that keep them in paychecks.

I have been receiving small orders from most gun companies. Sig never slowed down, and I have a pretty good supply. Looking ahead, things do not look as bleak as some predict. I see no reason to hoard, and have not done so myself even though I get first choice.

The industry position is that the AWB ain't gonna happen. We shall see.

Howdy LL

I sure hope you're right about the awb. I've been wanting a Kel-Tec PMR-30 for quite some time but kel-Tec couldn't keep up with demand, even before this round of panic buying. I was hoping the market would would get satified so I could get one without having to pay gougers prices. Maybe I can buy one out of NY, they're been band there.

I'm sure many of you already know that standard small rifle primers can be substituted for small pistol primers in a pinch, just back off a few tenths of a grain in an established load to start. Rem 6 1/2 and CCI 400 have the same cup thickness.

You can't do that with LR & LP primers due to the different heights of the two.

Here's a link to some info on rifle primers.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Spiris

Powder Valley had Tula brand primers yesterday morning.

EDIT: With the US manufactures saying their production of primers, brass and projectiles going to fulfilling ammo orders and back orders. It might be as long as 2 years before US mfd components are on dealer's shelves. The only exception I saw in the internet article I read were shotshell primers. In the meantime with primers especially we will have to rely on foreign suppliers. I can't vouch for Tula brand. I can say well over a thousand Wolf brand LP and a few hundred I've shot were 100% reliable. I've had recent problems with S&B brand primers. Of the few hundred I've shot there were no problems. The problem seems to be inconsistent size. The SP primers jammed up the auto primer feed on my Hornady Lock N Load press. The problem with the auto primer feed, best I can tell is the S&B are just a tad taller. It causes the primer slider to jam up as there is not enough clearance for the primer to slide under the primer tube. The S&B's are also very inconsistent in their circumference. Some slide right into the brass's primer pocket and others take considerable force.

I'm currently working on 9MM and 38 Special. I gave up on using the progressive loader with the S&B primers. I've been manually de-capping and priming. I then remove the decapping rod from the progressive loader and use it to charge, seat and crimp. It is still a bit faster than loading them one at a time on a single stage press but being stuck with over two thousand S&B SP primers I don't have any alternatives. I can't sell the S&B primers and keep a straight face. Possibly if the desperation continues. I could dump them at a gun show but I'd have to be honest about the problems.

I stopped in at my local Graff's reloading ( a cousin of the online retailer) store yesterday. They had a of shot shell primers. There were some S&B large pistol primers on shelf. I picked up 500. When checking out the clerk asked if there was any thing else I needed? I told him some small pistol primers if they had any. He reached under the counter and put up 1 tray of 100 S&B small p.p.. I asked if I could but 2 trays? He said no everyone is limited to 100. I reminded him that I have been a loyal customer for more than 20 years and would like at least 2 trays. "Sorry but this is all I can sell you today." The owner Mike Graf was actual at the store and I called him over. He recognized me and asked what I needed. I asked him if I could get an additional tray of small p.p.. He gave the clerk a "your a dumb ass look" and said "he's a long term customer sell him 3 trays". I shook his hand an said thanks.

I don't know the quality of S&B primers. I guess I will find out soon enough. I do know I drive past Bass Pro and spend a little more to support customer service of a local business man.

Ralph