Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lack Of Ammo...

karlunity

I have been reloading for more than 25 years. I have plenty loaded ammo and components to keep me shooting for a while. Rite now the cost and supply of components are getting almost as hard to find as loaded ammo. My local Graf's store is limiting primers to 1 tray of 100 per customer. It's close enough ( on my way home from work ) to stop in a few times a week and stock up. I have 2k+ reserve on all primers, magnum and regular. Bullet selection is the big issue now. I buy what I can when they have it in stock. Good Luck everyone. Ralph

I've got quite a bit of ammo, bullets, and powder, but the powder is getting old. Boy it was tough finding .361 bullets for the .38 S&W. Still waiting...

Time to start a new hobby...............one called casting :lol:

I would not worry about the age of the powder, FC.

I recall reading that one ammo company had some for more then 50 years and it still worked.

Some of the Turk we were shooting with no problem was made in the 30s.

karl

At least you guys got ammo. I have almost nothing. I havent reloaded in years.

I thought about buying some brass the other day and I was shocked at the "0" supply.

Hell even the $1.00/brass case stuff is gone. Even some things like chamber reamers are being bought up.

It looks like componets are all being converted to ammo production.

It looks like it would be easier to find hens teeth than primers in my area!

I can't find .38 S&W ammo. I ordered lead bullets, but the guy said two months to cast them. I lost on Ebay last second to someone buying an Ideal mold. I've got a bid on another. Other than that I have a lot of primers from the past, and have the brass.

Try "Lee" they may have the mold and I know that that they sell the melting pots.

You should be able to find some lead at the local junk yard.

If not, remelt some of the .44 or .57 balls from your cap and ball guns.

.38 sw is.361 the .38 sp.358..so you might be able to use a .38 sp mold.

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/

karl

I read quite a bit on the S&W forum. .358 will work, but plan on leading. They really need .361. Molds are scarce, with antique Ideal molds being what is recommended. I've got a second bid out after losing the first mold on Ebay.

All this makes me wonder if we should have molds and reloading dies? A lot of trouble, but it's a thought.

Also, you're only talking about 1.5 thousandths of difference in the mold wall interior. You might be able to come up with a way to take a .358 mold and a dowel of some type and polish out .0015" from the mold. And, you don't know what the diameter is coming out of the mold to start with. Cast some .358's and measure them. They may be .361 already, and you don't need to size them.

Dr. Hess has a point. I think the Lee molds are $ 25 a piece.

At that price, you have little to lose.

Is it me or does it seem to you fellas that this time around that the ammo shortage is worse than 08?

karl

I think it's worse than '08, Karl. This is the worst I've ever seen. I check wally world each week. Some shot gun ammo, occasionally some rifle stuff, rarely some 40S&W. No 22, no 9mm. All online vendors are sold out. At least anyone I've bought from in the past (JG, SG, etc.)

I am glad i made a point of picking up a box or two over the last year and a half.

Now? I wish I had done twice that.

I guess every one feels the same way.

Something is very strange.

karl

I am glad i made a point of picking up a box or two over the last year and a half.

Now? I wish I had done twice that.

I guess every one feels the same way.

Something is very strange.

karl

I bet you wish you had brought your ammo from cali.

" I bet you wish you had brought your ammo from cali."

Ken 98

Just every day and the primers and powder as well. : (

I had the dumb idea, that since I was moving out of Cali, ammo would be no problem in the South.

karl