Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ammo At Walmart

karlunity

I was in Walmart around lunch time.

The lady had a few boxes of ammo, but she said that she got her shipment in this morning and it was mostly gone by 11.

Folks are still buying like mad.

karl

Got to get up early. : )

I asked at the super center today. No 9mm. "When was the last time you had it?" "This morning."

They had some 45. Store 100 had some 45, 40 and some hunting ammo (30-06, 270, 30-30, etc). I actually think that the ammo thing is easing up just a little bit.

Store shelves appear empty but there seems to be plenty at gunshows at ridicules prices. Unfortunately it is not just the hoarders and price gougers. We also have to compete with govt agencies. I did fairly well during the first shortages by doing some trading. Backpage.com a Craig's list competitor does permit the sale of guns and ammunition both. If Backpage.com is active in your area look or advertise for honest one for one trades. During the first shortages I had several trades getting larger calibers for my 9MM and 380. My best deal was two boxes of Remington 45 Colt for two boxes of Winchester white box 380. The guy was so happy finding some 380 I thought he was going to kiss me along with the nearly painful, vigorous handshake.

I went to a gun shop today. Two box or 200 limit on primers and the same two box limit on ammo. The only exception was bird shot, shot shells, buck shot was included with the 2 box per day ammo limit. They also had a one can powder limit but all they had was odd ball stuff. The proprietor told me he has been advised he has a shipment of reloading components coming. He claims he has no idea of what is coming. Said he was told he has powder, primers and bullets but was not given any specific numbers or type. Told me to check back late Thursday or early Friday. The daily limits are a pain but if I need a box of ammo, chances are good I can buy it there. His usually full 12 handgun glass display cases has been reduced to, two. One used and one for new. I didn't count but I bet there were no more than a dozen in each case.

Went to the local Cabelas today.

Primers: Any kind you want as long as they are 50 BMG.

Powder: They actually had some! Bought some Bullseye. No W231. Mostly Shotgun powders. Mid-range powders non-existant, other than 4198.

Loaded ammo: over 100 boxes of 204 Ruger, plenty of 218 Bee, 30'06, 270 Win, 7.62x54R. Had quantities of 45 ACP too. Just about everything except 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, .223 Rem, and .308 Win. Even plenty of 10mm Auto. 38 S&W (not 38 Special) and 221 Fireball too.

Bullets: next to nothing. No .224, .308, 9mm, or .40.

Shelves were quite empty. Much Heter's ammo, steel case (7.62x54R), and brass (7.62x54R and evrything else). Anyone have experience with Heter's?

If I needed to do a varmit shoot today, 204 Ruger and 221 Fireball would be the saviors.

Went to the local Cabelas today.

Primers: Any kind you want as long as they are 50 BMG.

Powder: They actually had some! Bought some Bullseye. No W231. Mostly Shotgun powders. Mid-range powders non-existant, other than 4198.

Loaded ammo: over 100 boxes of 204 Ruger, plenty of 218 Bee, 30'06, 270 Win, 7.62x54R. Had quantities of 45 ACP too. Just about everything except 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, .223 Rem, and .308 Win. Even plenty of 10mm Auto. 38 S&W (not 38 Special) and 221 Fireball too.

Bullets: next to nothing. No .224, .308, 9mm, or .40.

Shelves were quite empty. Much Heter's ammo, steel case (7.62x54R), and brass (7.62x54R and evrything else). Anyone have experience with Heter's?

If I needed to do a varmit shoot today, 204 Ruger and 221 Fireball would be the saviors.

The same situation here in AK.

Herters ammo is made in Russia.

Anyone have experience with Heter's?

I shot a few boxes of Herter's 9MM (Mak and Luger) and either 40 S&W or 45ACP. Goes bang every time but burns leaving an obnoxious odor in the air. Best described as being "dirty". It.leaves considerable residue in the barrel. Accuracy hard to judge as I shot it standing up or sitting on my truck's tailgate freehand. As the old saying goes, my eyesight like the old grey mare "it ain't what it used to be". Like tires, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't unless absolutely necessary rely on it for self-defense. On the plus side it is non-corrosive and punches holes in paper as well as a $50+ box of Silver-Tips. Keep your good stuff and enjoy yourself practicing with the cheapie ammo.