Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Customs

FC

We went through the wringer with customs both in Holland and here. The Dutch wanted to know where I came from, where I was going and when, and when I was going home. She asked me how much money I had- both with me and in the bank! Italy wouldn't let me carry on a box with an antique Dutch lock because it was "sharp". My seed packets from Holland, and tulip bulbs were confiscated here. A Fed employee got brusque. We were in Charlotte and would end up in Augusta. One would assume that the bags would just transfer automatically, right? Nope. The bags were re-checked after being scanned. The box was opened. Passports were checked over and over, except in Italy. Seems we do a lot of answering to the gubmint, don't we? Bet the illegals have no hassles at all, do they?

Next time just land in Mexico and walk across.

You can bring in what you will and not be annoyed.

Or for a few bucks, pay for a ride in the back of Juan's truck, not a problem he knows the best route..been accross many times.

Karl

The trouble is, you're a white guy.

The last time I flew, I was waiting at the gate for my next flight when TSA came along and made several of us stinking whites line up to be serached.

You have got that right Ken.

They used to pull me out of line and have me sit in the class booth till some one checked me out, while letting people that looked like they had just parked their camel walk on in.

karl

The vegetable seed packets were sealed, actually, double-sealed at the factory in Holland.

Yes, but it's still a potential invasive species.

The agricultural aspect of customs is to prevent invasive critters and plants from entering a country. It's not just the plants, but also the fungii, diseases, parasites, and blights that they carry, even in seed form. Sealing live seeds doesn't prevent any of this.

Having worked customs from a military perspective, ANY living plants or seeds are fair game.