Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pot bellied pigs??

manureman

Any body ever eat one?I've got some cull nieghbors that keep draging these things home then turning them loose.I've killed a few of them for being around my turkey houses,pork and poultry dont mix,but hate to just let the coyotes have em and I saw they've got a couple more,they were with my cattle tonight so it's just a matter of time till...I'm bettin they go down good with with a cold beer,any recipes out there? Jim

Jim,

Do they root and destroy turf like the feral hogs?

That would be my limit if they did that, neighbor or not.

As to how they taste, probably like a domestic US hog, less game taste than a feral. I really never developed a taste for feral hog except if barbequed. The ground pork was too wild game taste for me.

But I like domestic pork, any way it's fixed.

fritz

Jim,

Most of those pot-bellied pigs are bought as pets and usually fed some gourmet slops. I reckon they'd taste pretty good. Especially if you were to wash it down with an ice cold beer!

Once while eating in a truck stop I overheard two waitresses talking, one telling the other about her pot-bellied pigs. I made a joke about pork chops and she got down right nasty, "informing" me that these are not "eating type hogs" but just bred for pets. She seemed totally mystified when I asked her if she really believed that Vietnamese actually keep hogs "just as pets." Seems she did and couldn't grasp my point. blink.gif

She insisted that they are just like dogs. I just let it go instead of breaking the news that in Nam dogs are viewed as much as a meat source as "eating type hogs" are here. Sometimes its better to just let the stupid stay that way!

That's a good one--the waitress thought that the people in 'nam keep them as pets.

Hell, I wonder how long a pot-bellied pig would survive in Mexico. They eat dogs there too.

The world is indeed filled with stupid people, and you are correct--sometimes it's just better to let them remain stupid. They would never believe any differently unless they were put in the place of many of the residents of these two countries.

BTW, the fact that they are pot-bellied, does it mean that the meat is fatty? If so, they are completely different from a feral hog. Those are too lean for my taste.

I know, heart friendly, etc. So everyone should have some feral hogs to eat for their lean meat. I would love to oblige them, just come and get them!

There was some discussion at out state Soil and Water Conservation districts meeting in Corpus Christi Tuesday about a resolution concerning the control of feral hogs. We passed it, asking the state legislature to help us find a way to control these pests. One of the ways to do this would be to finance the use of a helicopter to shoot them from.

There was a district in Matagorda County that had a 'copter come in and do this. The first day they got a thousand hogs, the next day 500 hogs. After that, the hogs got wary and the kill declined.

Time to move the 'copter to another county, and return when the next generation of hogs appears. Seems like as good an approach as any for "control". We all know they will never be eradicated.

Here is a pic of what a 'copter hunt can produce--

user posted image

fritz

Must be like whacking them racoons. The first few are easy. They sit there lookin' at ya while you take aim. Then they get smarter and you have to whack them in total darkness (IR & night vision). Takes about ten that way and the word gets around 'coon circles that you can see in the dark too and to split if they see movement in the house.

I'll tell ya Fritz, you should hold guided hunts and sell hog leases to the city folk. I mean, not to start a flame war, but hunting is really just killing for sport, so why not let them kill your hogs and pay you for it? Run some ads in the hunting mags for "day leases" and guided hunts. Guaranteed kill or its free. Have someone available to dress the hogs out and pack them in ice (extra charge). They'd be lining up for it. Turn a negative into a positive. It's like that guy that had nothing but a big pile of rocks. So he puts a rock in a milk carton and calls it a "Pet Rock" and makes a bundle. Do the same thing with feral hogs.

Well I learned a couple things about pot bellied pigs today.The first is they can out swim a dog,I knew hogs were good swimmers but never figured these little imports could,really never crossed my mind to be honest till today. I was spreading turkey manure on one of my nieghbors hay fields when here come these damn pigs a good 3/4 mile from home just trotin' along big as God headed right for these folks house like they know where they'er goin',well the lovely lady of the house is out working in her yard and sics Sharpie their border collie on em' and they cant out run the dog and ole Sharpie is flat makin it rough on em and all three end up in the pond and it's pretty fair sized ,5 or 6 acres I'd guess and those pigs just lit out for the far side! I figured they would both drown but they hit the bank at that same trot leaving poor Sharpie in their wake.I believe it's one of the damndest things I ever saw.The lady told me they had rooted her flowers up a couple days earlier so yes fritz they do root,but I cant say I've ever seen anything but tracks and turds out of them myself.Second thing I learned was they have so much fat on em that they skin way easier than a domestic hog,I prefer my hogs scaulded and scraped but no time for that this evening.The meat looks awfully fatty but I wont know about taste till they come out of the smoker sat. afternoon,but I can almost taste them greasy little tendor loins,fried taters and ice cold beer already!! Jim

Tom, they weren't the best thing I ever threw a lip over,they had a odd texture I'd guess you'd say ,best described as chewy and stringy and even though they had been smoked there was still just a little bit of a odd flavor to it.I figure if I'd gotten them up and corn feed em a while they would have been better cause I'm sure all they've had to eat for a while is acorns and what corn they could pick out of cow schitt.They werent sorry enough to ruin the taters and beer!And the hounds made short work of the left overs,but I would way rather have a mess of Double Troubles' squirrel. Jim

Jim,

You should try one on the barbecue pit. The only way I can stand wild hog meat is barbecued. I guess the potbellies are about as close to that as you can get. If they have been foraging on acorns, etc. there won't be much difference.

Have you got the feral hogs there? If not now, you will have someday!

Tomorrow the deer season starts here in Texas, and I know a lot of fellows will be looking for a hog to go with the venison for their sausage.

Sausage is really what a hog is meant for. Definitely not for ground pork, made into patties as I found out.

fritz

fritz,they are coming just not here yet you are right.They have a real problem with them over around Fort Wood about 40 miles southeast of here.At one time a few years ago that was the only place I know of that you could hunt wild hogs in Mo. and alot of folks went over to the fort just for that,they even gave a short class at the fort you had to take before you could hunt on the base,but 9-11 put a stop to that and the hogs are breedin and spreadin like hogs and someones been turning Russians out too so the conservation dept. boys came out with the shoot on sight reg a couple years back .... to little to late you know the story.I'll remember the barbque it would have to help. Jim

My family butchered our hogs,scalded and scraped,when I was a pup,and the fresh pork we always had for a couple days after the killing,never did appeal to me at all.I like cracklins and maybe a pork roast,but the cured meat is so much better,and I think that's what everybody associates pork with and expects their feral hog to taste like.Fresh bacon sucks.Sugar or salt cure,and it's wonderful.Fresh pork has a strange texture and taste that's hard for me to ignore.I'm sure that's why sausage was invented.Jerry

Speakin' o' hogs, in the burn unit when we ran out of human skin we would use pig skin on the patients. It is usually more or less rejected, but not always. Tends to scar more than human skin when it takes. We had a really good supply of used human skin at the time, so we didn't have to use pig often.

I haven't seen any sign of wild hogs around here in NW AR. Given the local population, I don't think they would last very long. Around these parts, people think that Deer Season is something you buy at Wal*Mart to put on the meat. I don't know how we have any left at all.

Dr.Hess