Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Install a barrel without a barrel vise question

Horsefly

I built an action wrench and used it twice.I haven't built a barrel vise yet,and have the rust blue coming any day now.What I'm wondering is,can I put the barrel on after bluing without screwing up the blue on the barrel without a barrel vise? I know I should have just ordered a vise,but I get as much satisfaction making my tools as I get from working on Mousers(see Mouser on ebay the other day).I bought a house yesterday that needs much remodeling,so I won't have much time to build a vise,maybe I should just order one.Kinda answered my own question I reckon.Oh ya,the house has 2 1/2 acres,plenty of room for a real workshop,so I'd sure appreciate any ideas on building the perfect shop for Mouser work.Maybe even pictures of your shops.Jerry

It's OK to build your own barrel vise, Jerry, but I don't think you are likely to be happy with the results of barrel installation without one. There is a procedure outlined in Clyde Baker's book Modern Gunsmithing where a barrel is removed with a rope and a pick handle. Since that book was written in 1928, I suspect that the pick handle method has been superceded by more modern means. Even then, Baker suggests making fitted steel bushings for a barrel vise very similar to a Brownells or B-Square vise.

I made my own vise from 1" steel with aluminum bushings. So far, it hasn't failed me. I think you will be better off biting the bullet and making a vise before you try to put that nicely blued barrel on the receiver.

Clemson

Anythingis possible. Is it probable? No.

Get/Make a proper vise. With one, you will not mar the finish. Wihout one, you stand a good chance.

Jerry,

If you can scrounge a 3/4" (1" is better) thick piece of steel 8-10" long and a couple 12' x 5/8" or 3/4" bolts or threaded rod you got it made. The steel bar is the "top" connected to the bench by a bolt on either side. Holding power is generated by a $8 2-ton hydraulic jack from WalMart sitting on your choice of oak or aluminum block drilled for your barrel.

Simply drill the bar for the bolts. Drilling an "indent" for the jack ram in the center is recommended as well. I use another bar for the bottom to make it portable but the bolts can connect right to a sturdy bench top. Oak blocks can be made from the small sticks of dimensional red oak sold at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. [if you don't have bits for aluminum blocks, flat "spade bits" can be bought cheaply to drill oak blocks.] Drill the lumber then saw in half to make top & bottom. Rosin, for getting the blocks to hold can likely be bought locally in the form of a "pitcher's bag" at a store selling "team sports type" sporting goods - not "our kind of sporting goods store!"

The blocks sit on the bench. The jack sits on the blocks. The bar sits on top of the jack. The bolts connect the whole mess to the bench (tightening the nuts on top to take up slack). Then its just a matter of pumping the jack as tight as you can! I usually just use the oak blocks because they're cheap and easy (sometimes with sheet lead between block and barrel) but aluminum will last longer.

This is long enough... we'll talk about the shop later! Congratulations on the house!!!!!!!!!!

OK great information MorgansBoss, any chance for a photo or drawing of this jack barrel vice? Confucius said, "A picture worth a thousand words"

Not trying to be a smart a$$ just would like to build one, this is a good idea you have.

Thanks for your time.

Burgie

hey morgansboss, what kind of shop do you have that allows 12' 3/4 threaded rod! WHEW! J/K! biggrin.gif i have seen one of these built somewhere (on here before the crash or a book) and it looks really easy to build! and i would imagine a lot cheaper than the $80 ones from brownells. good write up! thanks.

heath

i'm lucky to work at a large plant with big roll off metel scrap dumpsters..a little shopping and you can find most anything..this is all scrap except the jack..

bushing is cut on both sides doesn't look like it in pick..springs open the press

when jack is let down..the steel jaws are 2 1/2 " by 2 1/2" ..,bolted the jaws on the faceplate of my lathe bored the hole..mounted it under the table to get it out of

the way..using a 8 ton jack

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1486868

The cheapest source of bushings is to cut them from the 2x4 sections of oak pallets. Dozens can be made from one pallet. Boring the holes can be done either with spade bits or regular Silver & Deming bits (the large bits).

Cut the blocks in half with a mitre saw, and you have cheap bushings. I make my own for use with the Midway barrel vise.

I believe if all you are going to do is install a barrel in a stripped receiver, these Midway vises will suffice. If unscrewing a tight barrel from an M48 Yugo, you may find them lacking (to say the least).

You can buy a Midway vise reasonably enough to defeat any reason to make your own. Unless you want a vise that will really work on the tough stuff.

And as far as posting a pic of my shop--believe me, you don't want to see it! Only fritz can navigate among the clutter there, and sometimes I even get lost.

fritz

Great vises, fellows.

Both of those pictured will do the job better than the Midway vise, and the jack can always be used for other things.

Just goes to show how ingenious we can be in this hobby.

Hell, half the fun is being able to build your own tools.

fritz

Randy Ketchum, a REAL gunsmith, told me his barrel vice uses a hydraulic jack and is attached to a very heavy bench.

I now understand the HEAVY bench part.

"I now understand the HEAVY bench part"

The benches in my work room - which is heated & cooled - are relatively "light." Made of standard 2x10 lumber covered with thin plywood tops and using wooden legs. The main shop which is usually air temperature unless I'm forced to use the space heater in winter, is equipped with a "heavy" bench made with steel legs and full 2 1/2" oak planks. The photo above was taken in the work room for demonstration purposes. I rank a good vise the number one assest to a good shop, but a good vise needs a good bench to hold it!

MB,your so right about a good vise is no.1 asset.The only thing that'll mule-lip me quicker than a bench vise that won't hold is a chain saw that won't start.I have a barrel vise coming thanks to one of our gun-nut buddies.I wish we could have a gunboard class reunion so I could shake everyones hand.Jerry