Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Is Your Concealed Carry Sidearm And Why?

rdm1962

FC said last week that things were a little slow on the forum lately. I figured I would ask "What is your concealed carry sidearm and why?"

I'll start. I have two that I carry.

#1 is a Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal. It is built on a 357 frame with a 3 inch barrel. The big plus is that you get 6 round instead of 5 on a 357. I installed a Wolf spring kit and polished the action. The single action trigger pull is a crisp 3# double action 5 1/2 #. I have my carry rounds loaded with 110 grain Gold dots moving at 1600 fps. The 327 Federal is flanked by 38 special and 357 mag.

#2 is a Glock 29 in 10mm. This is a "compact" pistol. I installed a Ghost Maker trigger kit. Trigger pull is a no creep 3 1/2 #. The barrel is a Lone Wolf. It is extended (4.35 inches ) and compensated. The load I settled on for this arm is a 165 grain Sierra sports master moving at 1550 fps. The 10mm is flanked by a 9mm and 45 acp.

I am a online Dealer for Lone Wolf and Ghost Maker. If any of you guys need a barrel or trigger kit for your Glock I'll give you a great deal on them.

I carry a small frame Taurus Titanium 5-shot 38 Special or a Charter Arms 44 Special Bulldog. I prefer the slightly larger 44 but carry the revolvers unholstered in my pocket. The 44 prints loudly in some of my trousers and shorts so I carry the 38 more often. The 44 is also blued steel and needs a daily wipe down when I carry it. The Titanium 38 needs no more attention than an occasional cleaning of pocket lint. The Titanium frame 38 is so lightweight hardly notice it. During the winter months when a jacket is appropriate I carry either my Beretta PX or laser sighted FN 45 when I collect rent. I miss the fanny pack fad. Made it easy to carry nearly any handgun and spare mag. Today fanny packs go beyond being out of style to looking ridicules. My wife carries a S&W Ladysmith 38 in her purse. She also has a single shot 22 Derringer type pistol.

I recently acquired a 4 inch S&W 41 Mag in a trade. I may carry it this winter. I got a pancake holster for it from a retired NYC cop via Ebay. I may carry it this winter. I like the security of the large capacity autos but the weight is cumbersome and they are especially uncomfortable while driving or sitting in a movie theatre. If I can find the correct holster I may carry a mil-surp CZ-82 this winter. It is a medium frame chambered in 9MM Mak but the 12 rd double stack mag is a big plus. Currently it rides in my SUV's center console.

At home I have a S&W Model 15 38 in my nightstand and a Remmy 870 12ga hidden behind my bed's headboard.

In all honesty I'm chicken!! I will run away or do what ever necessary to avoid an armed confrontation. I don't let my ego get in the way and have learned to control my mouth as I'm no longer young and healthy enough to throw my weight around. I've been carrying concealed for over 20 years. Only on two occasions I drew my concealed gun with the intent of using it. Once to avoid being robbed at a highway rest stop in the middle of the night. Recently I drew and discharged my 38 defending myself against two charging Pitt bulls. There have been some occasions over the years when my hand was in my pocket ready if necessary to draw but fortunately it stayed put.

Depending on what I'm doing, or how I am dressed, I switch back and forth between a Colt Detective special, a Colt Combat Commander, or sometimes a Raven Arms .25 auto, but, mostly I carry a North American Arms 22lr because it's small, light, and very easy to carry.

I have a couple 9mm pistols that I've carried in the past but rarely these days. When I'm out of populated areas I have a selection of 44s that I rotate.

I am a online Dealer for Lone Wolf and Ghost Maker. If any of you guys need a barrel or trigger kit for your Glock I'll give you a great deal on them.

RDM, what do you recommend for lighting up the DA pull on Taurus revolvers? I was considering clipping a couple of coils. I have a large framed 357. Single action is nice and crisp but not nearly as sweet as a Smith & Wesson. The double action pull is incredibly stiff. After several DA pulls, fatigue sets into my index finger and keeping the sights lined up is nearly impossible.

Of all the guns I own, I do not have a Glock. Not yet anyway. I'm not particularly fond of a pistol without a manual safety but I'd love to have a compact 10MM. In a stressful situation or confrontation I'm not sure I could keep my finger on the frame. Today I watched Guns N Ammo on the Sportsman's channel. There was a short segment on the 10MM. The ol' guy, can't recall his name at the moment. Claimed the 10MM is capable of 41 mag velocities. Even with your lightweight 165gr slug in a compact pistol. I imagine the recoil is pretty stiff. From what I've read in the gun rags. The 10MM Glock is one of the most popular pistols among professional hunting guides. The gun rags claim the 10MM will take down a bear.

A Postal Inspector I know told me when the FBI adopted the 10MM. Most the agents were not comfortable with the recoil especially women. Most of the agents unless directly ordered went back to carrying their 9MM's.

RDM, what do you recommend for lighting up the DA pull on Taurus revolvers?

AzRednek I don't know what model Taurus you have but check Midway. http://content.midwayusa.com/product/573848/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-taurus-73-85-605 Wolf spring kits are dirt cheep. They make springs for most revolvers. That is what is put in my Ruger.

Yes the 10mm is a Beast. A 165 grain moving at 1550 fps. Is entry level 41 mag range. I have loaded them hotter. The recoil is more than my 6" 357 Dan Wesson. The 10mm was Developed for the FBI by Norma. It was too hot for most agents. My 5'4" Daughter loves my 10mm's. I have a 20, full sized 15 round and a 29 "Compact" 10 round. The 29 is very manageable with a Pearce grip extension. The 40 S&W is a shortened 10mm. I really didn't think I would like a Glock until I shot a buddies. Give one a try you might like one after all. Ralph

post-3785-0-33580100-1380161240_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-47016300-1380161248_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-24638500-1380161255_thumb.jpg

AzRednek I don't know what model Taurus you have but check Midway. http://content.midwayusa.com/product/573848/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-taurus-73-85-605 Wolf spring kits are dirt cheep. They make springs for most revolvers. That is what is put in my Ruger.

I may give Wolf springs a try. I used Wolf kits in a Polish Makarov and and a hammer spring in an Argentine Hi-power. It was like a night and day improvement especially in the Mak. The Argie was light striking and before replacing the spring I had a couple that dented the primer but didn't ignite. May have been operator error on my part not seating the primers properly. Possibly the cast bullet 9MM handloads were not all the way home when chambered and the firing pin strike was cushioned. Both duds went bang on the 2nd strike. What ever the cause, haven't had a problem since changing the spring. The Midway user's reviews on the Taurus are kind of mixed, pretty much a 50/50 divide.

I recently lost my pistolsmith to Cancer. Him and I discussed a trigger job on the Taurus. He claimed he could improve it by smoothing out and de-burring some of the interior parts before reducing the spring tension. The smith's shop gun was a Model 85 Taurus 38 revolver. The DA pull felt like a finely tuned S&W. I may shop for another smith if a spring doesn't improve the double action pull. The trigger job is above my skill level. The guy that took over for the elderly gunsmith has so far shown me he is just a bag of wind.

Did you hit the pit bulls?

No, I deliberately shot way in front of them. If they hadn't turned back I would have shot them. If I had shot one I would have had to deal with police. As a mailman on two occasions. Postal patrons tried to file animal cruelty against me for pepper spraying their dogs. The charges didn't go anywhere but I don't want to have to deal with it again.

PPH in 380.

It is small and I have had it since 85 and never a malfunction.

So I trust it.

karl

Karl I'm not quite sure what a "PPH" is. Is it like a FEG pistol like the PA-63?

I have a PA-63 in 9MM Mak I bought used surplus from J&G that consistently jammed. Got it several years ago as J&G's retail price was only 99.99. After shelling out over $30.00 for a new mag it has been 100% reliable since. J&G wouldn't make good the bad mag. It was my fault as I had it for a couple months before shooting it. J&G told me if I had sent them the bad mag immediately after buying it they would have replaced n/c. Don't know about your PPH but if it is like my PA-63 it handles the cheapie steel cased ammo without a problem. I've also put numerous lead slugged handloads through it. I used trimmed 9MM Luger brass with the lead slug sized .363. The PA-63 the same as 9MM Makarovs will chamber, shoot and reliably eject 380 factory ammo. Guess I could use it in an emergency but putting a 355 slug down a 363 bore it would not be very accurate.

Hello Az.

Yeah, I understand that my PPH is the .380 model of the PA-63 that was made for the US market in the 80"s.

If you need mags, there is a place in Texas that had them for about 15 a shot.

Let me know and I will look up the address, we just moved to a nice but smaller place and my stuff is not yet squared away.

I have fed, steel cased, lead handloads..Plus -P- german ammo and never a problem. The only thing I need is nice wood grips that don't cost more than the gun.

karl

Do you have any trouble keeping it concealed? There are not many handguns better than a 45 cal 1911 for self defense but keeping it concealed must be difficult.

I carry it in a vertical should rig & wear a loose sport shirt or light jacket when I carry & never had any problems.

I carry it in a vertical should rig & wear a loose sport shirt or light jacket when I carry & never had any problems.

First gun I ever carried concealed back in 71. Long before it was legal and no permit system in place. I carried a Commander size 1911 in 38 Super in a similar shoulder holster. The shoulder rig fit well and best of all was very comfortable to carry. No lumps or getting poked while driving or sitting. Only good though for about 2-3 months of the year here in Phoenix. Once it warmed up back in the early 70's I carried a tiny 22 auto and later a small frame H&R 32SWL snubby in my trouser pocket.

Prior to Arizona enacting a concealed carry permit system. It was a simple misdemeanor to carry concealed, on par with a speeding ticket. If carrying concealed while intoxicated, in a bar, making verbal threats, in the commission of a crime and a few other reasons I don't recall. It was upped to a pretty serious felony.

Arizona no longer requires a permit. Anybody that can legally own or possess a firearm can carry concealed. I still have my concealed permit and recently re-newed it. Makes it easier to buy a gun though a FFL as no instant background check is required though most dealers run it anyway. If the system is backed up, overloaded or down as often happens at gunshows because of the volume. I don't have to wait. With the permit as long as I'm not drinking I can carry in a bar, sporting event, restaurant or any facility that serves alcohol.