Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Plumbing Question

karlunity

The shower head arm in the bathroom appears to be loose. You can rotate it a bit by hand.

I discovered this while putting in a better shower head. It does not seem to be leaking but I have been putting on these shower heads for years and never a shower arm that was not tight. I am worried that it might be leaking in the wall. As the house is still under warranty. I have the plumber coming in. In the old house I would have just taken a wrench to it, but in these new homes every thing is a mix of PVC and copper fittings ..I don't want to bust anything.

Any way for them to check for leaks without putting holes in the wall?

Any Ideas?

karl

NPT standard threads are tapered. No matter what sealant type, dope or teflon tape, you can just about bet that if it is loose it is leaking. Luckily the shower neck is not a static pressure vessel so it likely only drips a little when you lift the diverter. But over time :(

JM2c

Get a pro to look at it. Had a similar problem in a rental and had to spend a small fortune cleaning out the black mold behind the tile and wall board. My problem was due to a faulty soldering job. As far the renter was concerned as long as the shower worked she didn't care that it was loose. A 2X4 prevented the elbow from separating.