Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Am Thinking Of Getting A Rock Island 1911

karlunity

I don't own a Rock Island. I have 2 Colts and a Sig Sauer. With a little polishing and fitting you should have a real nice Pistol. The funny thing about most 1911s is a stock gun is ok. With a little work they can be great.

You may also want to consider a Taurus as they have a forged versus an investment cast frame and slide. I believe there is one other 1911 manufacture that uses forged frames but I'm not sure who it is. I have a Remington I won in a raffle. I can't argue about the price, a $10.00 investment but the trigger is horrible. My next door neighbor recently got a stainless Ruger 1911. The out of box trigger is excellent.

I recently saw a program on the Sportsman's Channel about a Philippine ammo and gun manufacture. I just can't recall their name. They are working on developing a forged frame 1911 but didn't give any details other than "its in the works". In the gun industry that could be 10 years.

I know the feeling of desiring a 1911. Seems like every American with a gun collection has at least one. I've bought, sold or traded several 1911's since my first purchase in 1971. A whopping $135.00 for a Series 70 Colt in 38 Super. About the the same time my brother bought a Colt 45 Commander model for $129.00. With the exception of a Gold Cup I had in the 80's for a short time. Every 1911 I had either needed or got a trigger job. One of the best I had was a mil-surp parts gun. It had Colt, Remington and Springfield parts. After having a trigger job, a hand fit barrel bushing and tightening up the frame and slide fit. it was a real shooter.

Which ever 1911 you get I don't think you will be disappointed. You might want or need a trigger job. Like the AR-15 there are numerous bell and whistle accessories available. I like the extended safety and the bump on the grip safety. There are so many different sights available it might be difficult to choose if you're not satisfied with the factory sights. I've done fine without the full length guide rod. Using the stock set-up as John Browning designed. I consider the full length guide rod an unnecessary add-on.

Rock Islands are made by Armscor in the Phillipines. They are the same as the Legacy guns which are made by Armscor for Legacy. I have difficulty moving either one. Having shot both, they are a good buy. Legacy offers a better warranty.

The difficulty is that modifications are more expensive than buying a better gun up front. Right now, the Rugers are about the best bottom entry level general purpose bargin. I have been selling them for 659. For a target gun, the Springfield Range Officer is hard to beat. It is an entry level gun, with most accuracy tweaks left in place, and the bling left off. The sight works well for my aged eyes, but is rough to carry a gun with that type of sight. It either gouges you or the holster.

Remingtons have been doing well. A R1 stainless runs right at 700. Blue is about 50 cheaper. I have sold a ton of them, and have had zero complaints.

It is interesting to pick up several new 1911's of the same make and model, and one after the other, try the triggers. There is considerable difference. But the same hold true for rifles.

Para was having about a 70% return rate before Remington bought them last year. I quit carrying them. I have a couple of the new paras in stock, but it seems the public is wary.

Kimber 1911's are my best sellers. I stock Para, Ruger, Kimber, Springfield, Remington, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Sig and probably one or two I have forgotten. We probably have 50 or so on the shelf as I type.

I do not stock Taurus as they too had to be returned frequently.

Personally, I own an older Springfield Trophy Match and a Wilson. Both are 5". If I was not spending my retirement running the shop, I would have more time to shoot. If I had more time to shoot, I'd buy a Ruger Commander. I'd like a Bill Wilson Carry, but I could buy 5 Rugers for the same money.

I bought one when they first came out a dozen years ago or so to just throw in my truck and leave to save scuffing a couple other big name 1911s I owned. Others here have given you sound advice. Mine needed a trigger job which it got from a local smith and a used set of double diamond grips he had in a box of junk to replace the butt ugly slick shiny piss elm things that came on it. Bottom line is the Para and Kimber are history. But my Rock Island is mine till I die. I can't tell you why but it is far more accurate than the price tag says it should be, a real nail driver, and far more reliable than any others I've owned . It has lived a hard life for the most part being in a farm truck and what gets tracked into that truck . A few years ago I woke up to what I had and threw a different pistol in the truck to leave and brought the old Rock Island in the house where it belongs and started taking care of it the way it should be . It will feed fire and extract anything you cram in it,in any order you can dream up.I love it!!! I have my CCW and it is my carry gun and I don't leave home without it in a De Santis inside the waist holster on my hip.It works ,it hits where I aim. I trust it. Is mine a fluke,don't know but I'd not hesitate to buy another.

Rock Islands are made by Armscor in the Phillipines.

Pretty sure that was the company I saw the program on. The show was more about their ammo but I do recall a shooting segment with a 1911 handled by Armscor owner's son. I don't have any experience with Armscor ammo but years ago I bought a bunch of Armscor 38 Special brass that came from a New York police range. I got it back in the good'ol days when brass was sold on Ebay. I don't recall the price, it was sold by the pound and dirt cheap. 90% of my 38 handloads are on the mild side but the Armscor brass is excellent.

There seems to be a love/hate affair with the Taurus 1911's. I recall a post in another forum. The poster claiming to be a gunsmith was saying after a complete replacement of all the Taurus installed factory springs. He claimed a Taurus could shoot as well if not better than any high priced 1911. He also went on the claim that investment cast 1911's will show significant wear on the frame and slide's rails after 8-10,00 rds. I read it on the internet so it has to be true!!

Given the choice of watching Karl shoot whichever 1911 he chooses or Jesse Duff shooting her Taurus. Sorry Karl I'm going to watch Jesse.

I have one. It is the second one I had. I would recommend the Tactical" version, which has the ambi safety, beaver tail grip safety, high viz sights, and adjustable trigger. The beaver tail grip safety makes it much more comfortable to shoot than those with the military style grip safety. No hammer bite. I've had 4 1911s, and this is the first one with a beaver tail style, and I won't own one with out a beaver tail now. The adjustable trigger does a nice job. Mine out shoots my son's Springfield 1911 accuracy wise, and that cost more. My suggestion is to get checkered grips off eBay and replace the ugly smooth ones. I think I paid $19 for mine.

It seems very reliable so far, though I am still breaking it in. So far, very few FTFs.

20130802_164813_zpsb87feed5.jpg

Karl, one thing I noticed when I had my Rock Gov't model. The Rock had a tighter chamber than the Springfield Gov't. Reloads that would work just fine in the Springfield, would not fully chamber in the Rock Island. I had to tighten the taper crimp die down a bit more, then everything worked. I have not had that problem in my Rock Tactical, but then I am using the reloads I made for the Rock Gov't.

Karl, one thing I noticed when I had my Rock Gov't model. The Rock had a tighter chamber than the Springfield Gov't. Reloads that would work just fine in the Springfield, would not fully chamber in the Rock Island. I had to tighten the taper crimp die down a bit more, then everything worked. I have not had that problem in my Rock Tactical, but then I am using the reloads I made for the Rock Gov't.

Unless one is using lead bullets, the Lee Factory Crimp die will take care of any chambering problems. I had a similar problem but my 45's were going into a revolver. Very little crimp was needed, especially those that were loaded into a full moon clip. The lightly crimped loads simply would not work in the two autos I had at the time. An AMT Hardballer and a Star Firestar.

Use of the Lee FCD can lead to really bad accuracy, barrel leading using lead bullets but is the cat's meow for jacketed bullets. A perfectly crimped and post sized cartridge. The FCD's down side is it can reduce the over all size of a lead slug. Lead bullets should be at least .452 in diameter, .001 over size in the .451 bore. I load 45 ACP on a progressive press and skip the crimping station if loading lead slugs. I crimp the lead slugs with single stage press with my seating die with the seater plug backed off. I use a generous taper crimp to assure smooth chambering. So far, so good in my FNP 45 but I haven't had a chance yet to try my 45ACP handloads in my Remington 1911.

On other groups some posters will claim good results and no problems using the Lee FCD with lead bullets and others such as me claim having dismal results. I suspect variances in the size of the post seating crimp die's carbide ring. Your mileage may vary. When in doubt load the 230gr FMJ as Mr Browning designed it for. I'll admit to being a fan of lead because I'm a cheapskate and don't like Condors.

Bit of a delay.

FFL I was going to use did not know if his FFL was on file with Centerfire.

"Just tell them to call me." Nice fella but a bit flaky.

Well, I know from my C and R days that it does not work like that.

I think that I may just spent the extra 50 bucks and buy it in a local shop.

The Hippy thinks this is a "Waste of money..You have a handgun."

But that is ok..she has been saying that since 85.

karl

Bit of a delay.

FFL I was going to use did not know if his FFL was on file with Centerfire.

"Just tell them to call me." Nice fella but a bit flaky.

Well, I know from my C and R days that it does not work like that.

I think that I may just spent the extra 50 bucks and buy it in a local shop.

The Hippy thinks this is a "Waste of money..You have a handgun."

But that is ok..she has been saying that since 85.

karl

Karl when I had a FFL as much as I hate to say it that was what I often said if for some reason I didn't want to sell to the person. It is possible he has a circle of friends and does not sell to strangers. When I moved my FFL from my uniform store to my house I only sold to friends.

You're right, sounds like a flake, did he try and steer you elsewhere to another seller? When my FFL expired or when I changed locations I just mailed a copy to all the suppliers. Waiting until I got an order just slowed things down. I've heard but don't know for sure, ATF now allows faxed copies. When I was in business I had to mail a copy with a fresh signature. Copied signatures were not acceptable. Guess your guy didn't want to spend a few minutes on a fax machine or buy a stamp. If you check Gunbroker or even Shotgun News you can probably find a FFL in your zip code area. My current FFL charges me a flat $20.00 and lets me know by phone and email when it arrives. He asks for a phone call prior to arriving to be sure he his home. don't know how it works in Florida. In Arizona if the seller cuts the invoice in the FFL's name the buyer has to pay sales tax. If invoiced directly to the end buyer there is no sales tax as services are not taxable here. I pay the fee for the FFL's service. There are some hard headed sellers that insist on invoicing the FFL rather than the end purchaser and the tax has to be paid.

Yeah right, Karl! Suurrre you can stop!

I'm getting ready to do is try and convert my 1911 45acp Tactical to be able to switch calibers and shoot 38 Super and 9mm. That requires a new slide and barrel, plus one extra barrel. Then the mags. Some mags will allow either the 9mm or the 38Super to be fired out of them. Biggest hassle is that the ejector groove on the 45 acp slide has got to be milled wider and taller to fit the 38 Super ejector. Then replacing the 45 acp ejector with the 38 Super ejector.

I just have to find someone who can mill the slide and not cost me an arm and a leg. I already have a slide and barrel (38 Super) and 6 mags. Maybe I can get it done in a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Something was stopping me from getting my 1911. For some reason I just could not make that call.

We have the money and even the Hippy did not object : ) yet I just could not jump.

A feeling...I found long ago that if it does not feel right, don't do it. But it was hard to resist.

I have other pistols...but a 1911!!!!

Good thing I waited. It seems that they are coming out with a "Wide" grip 14 round 1911a2 in Jan.

For about the same price.

A 45 with 14 rounds!!!

karl

was stopping me from getting my 1911. For some reason I just could not make that call.

We have the money and even the Hippy did not object : ) yet I just could not jump.

A feeling...I found long ago that if it does not feel right, don't do it. But it was hard to resist.

I have other pistols...but a 1911!!!!

Good thing I waited. It seems that they are coming out with a "Wide" grip 14 round 1911a2 in Jan.

For about the same price.

A 45 with 14 rounds!!!

karl

Before you decide to wait for the double stack version. Try to handle some double stack 45's. I have a FN 45, great gun but the wide grip to contain the double stack mag feels a bit clumsy. I'm a larger than average person, in my prime I stood just a fraction below 6'4". The FN 45 just doesn't melt naturally into my hand the way a 1911 feels. More considerations: Rarely does a gun appear on dealer's shelves until months and some times even years after the announced date. If there is a high demand for a newly introduced gun expect to pay an inflated price. The Kel-Tec 22 mag semi pistol is a prime example. Spare mags might be difficult to find and very pricey. The after-market magazine manufactures will be a few years behind. A classic example are the double stack Makarov mags. They are for sale but the price is beyond ridicules. Just some speculation on my part. Are the double stack mag versions going to have plastic frames?? Whom will be manufacturing the double stack version?? Are they name brand? Are the majority of the parts going to be interchangeable with US GI??

In summary, Karl I give it a thumbs down. If they are successful give it a few years. If they bomb, go out of business there might be a proprietary part or two that could turn it into a paperweight if replacement parts are not readily available. Remember the Yugo!!Another consideration, why settle for just a double stack magazine?? Why not a double barreled 1911?? The cool factor has to be extreme but you best clear it with Mrs Hippy, in excess of 3 grand last I heard.

you best clear it with Mrs Hippy, in excess of 3 grand last I heard.

AZ,

3000? I was kinda surprised when she suggested I spend 400!!

She is a member in good standing of the wives "another gun you have ONE."!!!club.

karl