Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Can You Run Fedora On A Tablet?

karlunity

I run fedora 19, been using Fedora since Fedora 1.
In many ways better than Windows.
I was thinking of getting a tablet, but the question is:
Can I re-format the HD of the tablet to run fedora?
Some places on the net say "yes" not a problem.
Some say "No" won't fly and you will kill that tablet.
Any ideas?
karl

You are awesome!

I've been running every version of Fedora since Fedora Core 1 too. Fedora 19 has been fairly solid for me. I actually started with Redhat 4.2 long before Fedora. What desktop (window manager) do you run?

Technically, if it runs an Intel/AMD compatible, it should work fine. The UEFI boot setup on newer machines has me a little nervous though. I've read reports that trying to install Linux on some UEFI-based machines is futile; not all manufacturers care about what consumers actually want to use.

Do a web search for your model and see if anyone has tried Fedora on it. If it's a popular model, then you may just have some luck.

To make things easier for yourself, have you looked at Android tablets? Android runs the Linux kernel, and for a tablet interface, it's probably better suited for data input. The ARM processors in Android tablets are phenomenal for battery life.

Oh, and they do have a Fedora cut that runs on Android tablets for the adventurous...