Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Good Trade For Me

lemski4

Over the Hollidays I made a trade I was very happy with. I traded my 35 Whelen AI on a Mauser 98 action I built several years ago, complete package, 120 rounds of ammo, dies, bullets, scope the hole nine yards, for one of the first oridgional batch of 5,000 Detonics ever made, a Combat Master in 45 acp. I'd been looking for an officers model 45 for a while and had a guy interested that had a Rock Island officers model, we were still discussing it, but before the deal went through the Detonics came available so I jumped on it FAST. Now I have my new CCW pistal, I'm a very happy camper.

post-1115-0-68104600-1388435106_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-35567100-1388435113_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-89496500-1388435131_thumb.jpg

Friend of a friend I met Dove hunting brought along a small Detonics 45 auto. Not sure of the model but looks just like yours. For some reason as I didn't get a straight answer, he put in a heavier spring. Made the slide a bit difficult to rack but I was quite impressed with the way it shot especially the crisp trigger.

Yes the first few made had 3 recoil springs, then they switched to 2, and now they just have one, same as what wolf makes to replace the older multi spring units. On my pistol whitch has 2 springs, it seems a little stiff partly because you don't have as much to hold onto, as the grip is quite a bit shorter. Short enough that when loaded with 6 in the mag and in the pistol the back of the follower stickes out the bottom of the mag

post-1115-0-39465600-1388477838_thumb.jpg

To make a long story short after being informed at 48 yo I have two very serious heart conditions and having a pacemaker/Debibrilator inplant, and two strokes all in a yeart and a half, the big boomers need to go. Besides the guy that I traded with was very happy to get it, and no since in having something laying around I'm not going to use. Same thing as the 416 Taylor I built a couple of years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully things will get better for you. That Taylor was a fine piece as well. Like you said, why have what you can't use? I'm glad you can get enjoyment out of this pistol. Looks to be very nice.

Brenden

Lemski, know exactly what you're going through. I still hunt but don't wander far away from camp or my truck. I bird hunt off my truck's tailgate. I load my 458 Winchester using 45/70 Rolling Block data. I built a 338 mag and haven't shot after sighting it in. I intended to use the 338 Elk hunting about 5 or 6 years ago but spent Elk season in the hospital. Just can't bring myself to part with my big boomers for cash but might part company for a good trade. I have an in the white, new in the box Santa Barbra magnum action, with adjustable trigger, hinged floor plate and stock. It is begging for a 375 Ruger barrel but I'd be afraid to shoot it. I now wish I had saved the 10 or so bucks and bought the standard action. Its Hell getting old and crippled!!