Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Yugo Question

dixieboy

I'm getting ready to start sporterizing my yugo, and I want to rechamber it to 6.5-06. I know that typically the -06 as well as many other -06 rounds are just a bit longer than the 8x57. I've been reading other forums and threads and havent found anything useful. Have any of you successfully rechambered a Yugo to this cartridge? If so, how much modification was needed to pull it off? My desire is to turn it into a long range deer rifle. Thanks for your help.

-Dixie

I could be wrong but I believe the Yugos are a bit shorter than other Mauser 98's and 06 length cartridges wont easily fit in the mag. If I remember correctly it takes some mag alterations. Hang on for an answer from Don Marley or one of our other Mauser experts.

The short answer is yes, it can be done, but I think it's probably a lot of work. Take the bottom metal/magazine off your rifle and compare a 30-06 cartridge to it to see for yourself. I don't have one in front of me right now but I'm fairly certain you'll have to open up the action as well.

We had a big debate over this very question a few years ago.

Edit: here's a link to one such thread, http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=6905

I read a thread some time back on this subject. From what I remember you need to alter the Magazine box and feed ramp. Again from memory the front and back of the Magazine box must be thinned. The feed ramp must be shortened to afford the nose of the bullet to clear when cycled. If you only have a Yugo to work with give it a shot. It might be easyer and more effective to do a round like 7mm08 or 6.5x08. Either way You'll get plenty of useful advice from the Guys here. Good luck and keep us informed.

<p>Thanks again guys, I'm going to go with another cal for this rifle, and maybe do the 6.5-06  on a Rem action, or a try to find a 98 to do it on. Thinking of going to 25-06 or one of the shorter 6.5's.</p>

Why not just shoot an 8x57JS? They're not a bad round; especially if you reload. My first rifle was a scoped M48 Yugo and I killed several deer with it.