Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Do I Need Hp Bullets In A 1911

karlunity

I am getting ready to reload my 1911 (named him, "grunt" ) Now I do load my 380..9mm and the Hippy's 38 with HP but with a 230 grain bullet and me of something like 500 fps, what more do you need unless you are shooting a bear?

karl

Hmmm, one question with many sides to possible answers. First yes, 380's, 9mm's, and 38spl's do expand but .45's never shrink. Is one line of thought. ^_^

On the other several thoughts. Hardball ammo no matter what the cal. has a tendency to over penetrate and not dump all its energy in the target. My own personal choice for "DEFENSE" ammo in my 45 acp's is a 185 grn hollowpoint loaded as hot as possible. I want it to expand "VIOLENTLY" not just to do as much tissue damage as possible but so as not to croak a neighbor after the fact. If you poke a hole in a critter in a vital area it will die [sooner or later]. If you poke a BIGHOLE that gets EVEN BIGGER when it enters at high velocity it creates massive HYDOSTATIC shock which causes cessation of bodily functions much quicker.

If ever forced to shoot another human being. I want them dead ASAP. My LEO friends always say a one sided story is much preferrable to a responding officer than having to listen to some criminal whine about his lousy childhood.

Thoughts expressed are as usual .............JM2c

I've shot thousands of cast bullets through a 1911. I prefer 230 grain round nose, as they feed best. I've recovered many, many of those from the sand pits at the range and they don't expand. That's why they went back to the 45 back in '11. They are already really big.

I've shot thousands of cast bullets through a 1911. I prefer 230 grain round nose, as they feed best. I've recovered many, many of those from the sand pits at the range and they don't expand. That's why they went back to the 45 back in '11. They are already really big.

I shoot cast 230 round nose also but, I have heard that some people have trouble with them.

I'm far from an expert. But I thought I'd offer this for you to give a little thought. In Missouri we are required to have 8 hours of class room training as part of getting our CCW , which I have in addition to some advanced courses I've taken .In all of these classes they stress the point that in todays world of sue happy lawyers if you have to use your weapon you will more than likely end up in court over it right or wrong. I'm sure your sharp enough to know that. Something that I had not thought about was that reloads are evil and reloaded hollow points.... well they are the most evil thing on the planet. Every one of my instructors stressed making sure that not only did you not want anyone alive to testify against you ,you want you ammo store bought and it needs to say something about defense on the box. Just as an aside they also suggest calling a preacher at the same time you call your lawyer, looks good in court ya know.Jim

I'm far from an expert. But I thought I'd offer this for you to give a little thought. In Missouri we are required to have 8 hours of class room training as part of getting our CCW , which I have in addition to some advanced courses I've taken .In all of these classes they stress the point that in todays world of sue happy lawyers if you have to use your weapon you will more than likely end up in court over it right or wrong. I'm sure your sharp enough to know that. Something that I had not thought about was that reloads are evil and reloaded hollow points.... well they are the most evil thing on the planet. Every one of my instructors stressed making sure that not only did you not want anyone alive to testify against you ,you want you ammo store bought and it needs to say something about defense on the box. Just as an aside they also suggest calling a preacher at the same time you call your lawyer, looks good in court ya know.Jim

I agree with all you,ve said. I'm in Commyfornia, where you can't throw a dead fish over your shoulder without hitting a liability attorney. For clarity sake my 45 acp defense ammo is not reloads. It is out of the box PMC which has shown best expansion for me for factory ammo.

My practice ammo, which I've fired thousands of, are hard cast 195 gr SWC from Lee moulds. All three of my 45's have been throated, ported, and polished, and tuned to feed both reliably.