Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Be Careful When You Re-Load Found An Old Primer...

karlunity

I have been re-loading for about 20 years and this is a first.
I found an old spent primer in a case I was loading.

I was reloading for my 45. I had cleaned and re-sized the trimmed the brass tossed it in a bucket after cleaning the primer pocket. ( THERE SHOULD NOT have been anything in that case. )
I checked the power in each case with a flashlight.
Should have been ok. Well I loaded 5 rounds and seated the bullets than put them in my pistol and keeping my finger well way from the trigger checked the cycling.

3 out of 5 rounds stuck in the chamber.
Ok: I measured the case and took the barrel out of the pistol and found that the case was too wide, I had expanded it to much. Again no problem.
NOW as I was pouring the unused power from the cases I had not yet loaded back into the can, a SPENT PRIMER GOT CAUGHT IN THE FUNNEL.
This primer had been IN the case. Had that case been loaded and fired, I suspect that things would not have gone well. But the Lord was keeping an eye on me,

Double check everything when you reload...look in all the cases. If it can go wrong...

Saved by the grace of our Father,

karl

How it got in or left in that case I don't know FC.

...But I am lucky that that the first cases were too wide.

I had made a error with the expander. So they would not chamber.

I don't think it would have done a lot of harm either, odies dad as the 45 has a big bore....But I don't wanna find out. : )

Kept that primer on my loading area to remind me to check everything.

karl

What has me is how did it get there or stay there???

karl

My guess is it probably wound up in the case while tumbling brass. I've never found a spent primer in a cartridge but have pulled a few out of my tumbling media. I find spent 22RF brass every now and then that finds its way into my brass while tumbling. The spent 22's are usually noticed in the de-priming/sizing operation. If I'm lucky I don't bend or break a de-capping pin.

When I go to the outdoor public range, I bring along a rake. The range's rules are one can only pick up his/her own brass. I rake all nearby brass into a pile and scoop it all into a bucket. I always return with considerably more than I shoot as long as one of the safety Nazis aren't on a power trip. The expended 22 RF brass and tiny pebbles are a real nuisance. I try to weed the garbage out but often miss something.

Saved by the grace of our Father,

karl

His way of rewarding you for the ugly stick beating that went awry.