Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Any Glock Guys Here?

AzRednek

I should be thinning out the heard but J&G is twisting my arm into a police trade-in Glock. Their warehouse is apx a 70-90 minute drive each way from my house. My big problem visiting J&G is buying only the item I intended to get. My last trip to J&G I deliberately left the plastic at home. During weekdays the sales people will pull 3 and allow the buyer to cherry pick. On weekends their showroom is packed and they pull one and it is usually take it or leave it.

Does anybody know what the differences are with Glock's generation designations? Is there a preferred generation? I'd like to add a Glock to my collection although I prefer pistols with a manual safety. ?If anybody can offer any advice or tips on selecting a used Glock it will be appreciated.

I have a First Gen 17. The later gens had an extra pin to hold something together (I forget exactly what, but I think it's either part of the fire control group) and everything other than that is mostly cosmetics. Stippled this, bump on that, etc.

By now most Police trade in's should be Gen 3s. Most have been carried a lot and shot little. If they let you pull the slide off look for the "copper" colored lube around the inner edges of the on the inside of the slide. This means little use. Let me how you do I can hook you (or any of our members ) up with a Lone Wolf barrel and Ghost Maker trigger kits at a discount. Good Luck Ralph

I almost bit on the 299.99 Glock deal J&G is offering. Friend of mine drove up to J&G and it turned out to be a bait and switch sale. From what he told me the bait models for 299.99 were well used beaters. The next step up was 329.99 and the top grade are 349.99. My friend left without buying a Glock and only purchased some cheapie 9MM Makarov ammo. His email said "I gave them a piece of my mind". I've known this guy for years and he has some what of a belligerent personality. Him saying "a piece of my mind" I'm sure he blistered somebody's ear big time.

I have to ask not being a Glock man, is 349 a bad price?

Do you get a mag or two?

I hate bait and switch as well.

Just tell me the price...no mail in rebate..etc just the OTD price or I walk.

karl

I don't think 349 is a bad price for a used Glock if the buyer gets to eyeball and handle it before spending the bucks. Buying used or surplus, military or police handgun long distance is like shooting dice. In case of a return the buyer eats return postage. A non-FFL has to use over night shipping before FedEx or UPS will accept a handgun. FFL's can use Priority Mail and other lower cost shipping options.

No spare mags. J&G has a reputation for opening and removing spare mags from new in the box handguns. I don't know if all the rumors about J&G are correct but I do know somebody personally that it happened to. I've also heard of J&G removing factory mags and replacing them with after market. Friend of mine purchased a new in box Sigma from J&G and the spare mag was gone. My friend complained to Smith and Wesson and was told the mag was removed by J&G. As a courtesy S&W sent my friend a new mag for no charge but the date was close to the Clinton ban and he got a 10 round replacement. The rumor mill said S&W, Ruger and others cut J&G off as a distributer for removing spare mags, substituting grips and something about rebate certificates.

The rumors are incidents I've heard. Exactly what the facts are I don't know as the gunshow rumor mill get the actual facts twisted. What happened to my friend with the Sigma I know the actual facts. It does seem with J&G being located a few miles from Ruger's Prescott factory they would be a major distributer but they are not. J&G is no longer a distributor for new S&W products.

Despite my rant, over the years I've spent plenty of bucks at J&G but all gun purchases were in person. For 349.99 I recently saw new in the box Walther PPX 9MM's and the spare mag is included. I'd be more inclined to buy new in the box before shooting craps with police surplus. Based on Walther's reputation for high quality and marriage with Smith and Wesson. It is not a Glock and if one's mind is set, it might be worth throwing the dice.

I personally don't care for the polymer frame guns, but they seem to hold up well. But what I do disagree with is the no manual safety, now days there are plenty of options out their using the same polymer frame type platform that DO have a manual safety to choose from. Me personally I'd look for a Officers size 1911 and call it good, there are plenty of company's making them now days and are reasonably priced, I think ATI even makes a polymer framed 10-12 round Fatboy version.

I personally don't care for the polymer frame guns, but they seem to hold up well. But what I do disagree with is the no manual safety, now days there are plenty of options out their using the same polymer frame type platform that DO have a manual safety to choose from. Me personally I'd look for a Officers size 1911 and call it good, there are plenty of company's making them now days and are reasonably priced, I think ATI even makes a polymer framed 10-12 round Fatboy version.

I'm not real fond of plastic frames either although I'm currently using a 40 cal Beretta PX as my car gun. It does have a manual safety but I prefer to use the hammer drop feature, safety off making the first shot double action.

Years ago I was forced to pull a handgun on a guy intent on robbing me. I was at a highway rest stop late at night near the Arkansas Missouri border. After the situation cooled I realized I had my finger on the trigger and thumb on the safety. I was carrying a 1911 type Firestar 45. I honestly don't know if confronted again I could follow the safety rule of finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. I don't have a problem with my finger on the frame, off the trigger while shooting recreationally. Person I know was involved in a shoot out. I've been shooting with this guy and he is a crack shot with his Browning HiPower. In his battle against a gang-banger with an SKS. They both emptied their guns and both left unscathed. In a freighting life or death situation one can easily forget all the rules, simply point and pull the trigger.

There was an incident here in Arizona a short time after Az DPS converted to Glocks from S&W DA revolvers. The veteran cop with years of training, being taught to put his finger on the trigger of a double action revolver. Unintentionally shot a person in a case of mistaken identity with his newly issued Glock.

• 3 weeks later...

Az, yes a person does not know how he will react till after the incident has happened. People should practice regularly with the firearm they intend to carry to keep familiar with the firearm they are carring and the controles it has. if making a radical change say from a revolver to a simiauto their needs to be extensive retraining and practice to become proficient with the new platform they are using. With all that being said I am considering one of the poly frame guns as a spare carry pistol, just haven't figured out which one yet. The ones I'm looking at are one of the ATI Fatboy's, XDS, M&P Shield, and there is always a Glock if it goes that far.

• 2 weeks later...

And check out the Taurus 24-7 line.

I have a new in box Taurus 24-7 OSS model in 45ACP I got as part of a multi-gun swap. I've avoided the temptation to shoot it to keep it virginal to use it as future horse trading goods. I'm always on the look out for younger guys that have inherited dad or grandpa's classic S&W or US military rifles. If it were a 9 or 38 Super I'd likely keep it and put it to good use. I already have numerous 45 caliber toys. I'm kind of searching for a large capacity 9MM to carry concealed in colder months. My Beretta PX with light and laser is a bit to cumbersome. Since I dropped it, destroying the light/laser combo unit it is a bit easier to carry. I carry it in the small of my back covered with a jacket when collecting rent.

Friend has a Canik TP-9 9MM on order. It is medium frame, hi-cap 9MM and has a de-cock button without a manual safety lever making it much safer and easier to carry with a live round in the chamber. De-cocking it is supposed to revert back to double action with a 12-16 lb trigger pull on the first shot. I may go that route after getting a look at it. On arrival he will have apx 330 invested in it. Centerfire has them for 299.99 + 3% for using plastic, about 8 or 9 for shipping and the FFL fee. Seeing good reviews on You Tube about it. I'm also kind of eye-balling the metal frame Turkish Sig clone at Centerfire Systems. Just have to figure out what to get rid of to raise the 300 bucks.

Yesterday there was a gang-banger and police shoot out. One cop dead, other critical and a dead punk. It is about one mile where I will go this weekend to collect rent. Since getting a rubber check and a money draft, not a money order from the renter I insist she pays cash. I simply wont go to that part of town unless I'm well armed during day light hours only.