Military Firearm Restoration Corner

This May Be Old News, But I Just Saw It.

rdm1962

I was just looking up some bullet info over on Nosler's web site. I read a atrial about their new .26 Nosler round. http://www.nosler.com/news-and-articles/2013/11/22/the-26-nosler This looks like a great round. It can fill the gap between 25-06 Rem and 280 Rem. I think Winchester tried a round in 270 some time back it the 1930's. Did it really ever catch on, just kidding. I have German 98 actions waiting for future builds. I'm sure it will be several years before reamer and gauges would be available. This fits my build schedule perfectly. I'll keep an eye out for load data, dies and any more info as it come out. Ralph

You maybe thinking of the .264 Win Mag........same .264"/6.5mm bullet and similar ballistics. I think the new Nosler 26 is a fat case and may be troublesome feeding in a controlled feed mauser. But nothing is insurmountable.

It is a SMOKER for sure.............the 264 Win Mag went the way of the 220 swift. They were a bit ahead of their time as far as barrel metallurgy went. Buddy had a 264 Win Mag on a Md 70 and it's barrel only lasted approx 600 rnds.

JM2c

I went back and found the cartridge demolitions. http://static.squarespace.com/static/5163436ce4b0b470bd1fbb00/t/52fea983e4b09e6f5ea59cc6/1392421251029/26_Nosler_SAAMI.pdf It is slightly fatter than a 06 or 8mm round. It will be interesting to see if this round will last or be ignored by the shooting public like so many other worthy rounds. Ralph

P.S. The 270 reference was just my poking fun at all the die hard 270 Win fans.

I've been watching this round in great anticipation. To me, it just looks like a 375 Ruger necked down. I really like the .375 case, along with the RUM cases. In my opinion a case should never have a belt unless it's a H&H or a Weatherby. Most other cases have enough shoulder to headspace off of, and don't need it. A belt is the weakest link in a cartridge.

It will sure be a barrel burner, but for long range deer hunting it will be a nice round. I'm glad to see companies offering new items. Yes they are niche items and will never outlast a 30-06, but are pretty darn cool.

Brenden

I would say it is "MUCH" larger dia. than the 06 case. At .550" base dia. it has an unbelted base larger than the belt dia of H&H belted mag. class cases.

A belted case in any magazine rifle is just a sales gimmick for unwitting fools who have been bitten by the magnumitis bug.

Akin to the current trend of painting everything black and calling it tacticool to boost sales.

Most [but not all] shooting sports paraphenalia is designed to boost sales and doesn't really make marked improvements.

Like most fishing tackle is designed to catch fishermen's wallets not fish.

JM2c......but tainted by the fact that I'm a .270 Winnie afficienado. ^_^

• 3 months later...

My prediction is that this cartridge will go the way of the RUM and WSM cartridges. Ammo and brass is very hard to find for some of these already and following their initial sales spike sales have dropped as folks realized that most wouldn't do anything that cartridges brought forth a hundred years ago could do.

As for Nosler's big sales pitch that these will give magnum performance in a 30-06 length action, maybe the should go to the net and look up Rocky Gibbs. They are pitching a 129 gr. bullet at 3400 FPS. Rocky was hitting 3100 fps with H4831 over 50 years ago with his straight walled, short necked reformed 30-06 case. The .264 Hawk provides performance matching the Gibbs. I wonder what Rocky's 6.5 Gibbs would do with some modern propellants? IMO, Once again marketing is simply providing a solution where there is no problem just to generate $$$$$. RD

My feeling is it will perform as promised but I see it as a barrel burning round. Barrel life will be short which is ok for most hunters but it will never catch on with the bench rest guys. There are not many gaps in rifle cartridges and my gut feeling is Nosler wanted to get their name on a cartridge and looked for a gap to fill.