Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7x57 mauser to 7mm06 or 280 remington

loumaus

"Can early action ( 93 , 95) go to 06 ?" NO. The small ring or pre-98 actions were not designed for high intensity chamberings. SAAMI limit for 7x57 is 51,000PSI, which I believe translates to around 45,000 to 47,000CUP. Here is a chart on SAAMI spec's.

http://mfrc.sizzlyhosting.com/index.php?showtopic=874

That said, it has been done, but is NOT recommended! The barrel can certainly be used on a LR/sm. thread Turk action but why? If you have a decent 7x57 barrel - it's such a sweet chambering in its own right - why change?

Can early action ( 93 , 95) go to 06 ?

Can be done but most would question the safety

If not could small ring barrel be cut to 06 then put on turk action?

Yes, this is a nice feature of Turks. If the barrel's good, I'd just enjoy it on the old action. The stock 7 x 57 will do 95% of what anything more modern will.

or would it be better to use later action? Say one of south americans in 7x57?

I'm confused by this question blink.gif .

Ok Doble last question edited I confused myself when I reread it

M B Why ask Why: I have 6.5x55,7x57,243,3006,8x57,7mm mag and my wife wil tell you thats enough. But anyway I know an elderly man who has some take off 7x57 barrels and some 93actions he might part with someday

Don't get the wrong impression, I'm not questioning your reasoning but simply making the point that 7x57 is a great chambering in its own right - something you probably know considering you already have one. How about another one? Say a Manlicher-style carbine. 7x57 is a perfect choice for such a rifle. Sure the short barrel doesn't give the round it's full potential but its a classic combo and the M93 action lends itself perfectly to such a light weight rifle! Did one up as a gift for a dear friend several years ago. He's a perfectionist and I went the extra mile on the rifle. He was delighted with it... but I could see in his face something was wrong. I pressured him until he admitted he didn't care for Manlicher-style stocks. sad.gif There was nothing to do but take it back to the shop and bob the fore end! Soooooo, you see personal choice is a wonderful thing. Our ideas and suggestions here are just that - OUR ideas and suggestions. Take em with a grain of salt! laugh.gif

Howdy Yall! I've been gone all weekend and I'm getting caught up on my reading.

-----------------------------------------------------

If I may add a little to this discussion:

I remember reading a post written by BobVZ on the our old message board explaining his results of converting a 7x57 to a 280 Remington. IIRC, his findings were, due to the twist rate of the military barrel he used, rather displeasing as he was having a hard time finding an accurate load for his rifle; especially with lighter bullets. Further, I want to say he used one of the 19" carbine barrels, but they may have a different twist rate than the longer, early barrels. Lastly, I believe he resolved at the end of his post that in his opinion, the result he ended up with wasn't worth the time to do the conversion and in the future, he'd just stick with the 7x57. I'll add too that Bob seems to be pretty knowledgable and has built a few Mausers. So, based on his findings (as I remember them), I think I would either stick with the 7x57 or purchase a 280 Rem barrel brand new.

Furthermore, I have looked at several custom 7x57's online and can find loaded ammo locally; all of which tells me this caliber is still pretty popular. I myself am planning a Mannlicher 7x57 using a 7x57 carbine barrel. In fact, this is the next project I have on the docket - I'm just trying to get my '06 and 6.5 out of the way first. Moreover, I like Morgansboss's idea of using the 93 action to make a 7x57. It sounds like a project a fellow could get together pretty quickly and be shooting sooner than later.

Again, this is just my $.02 so take it for what its worth.

Jason

Morgansbos no ofence taken I think your on to something with 93 manlicher.I was thinking pressures and how much meat was in sr barrels. Didnot even think about twist being different. I know a guy name bob that likes to use vz24 actions.where is bobvz from may be same ?

Maybe you already know this but if not, and for anyone else who may read this, the consideration isn't in the SR barrel but rather the action. Take a look at a Marlin or Winchester lever action barrel sometime - they're thin! More over, the pre-M98 actions lacked several features included on the later ("improved" may we say?) action. Not necessarily in order of importance they are the gas deflecting shroud, the third bolt lug, the heavier receiver and the gas ports in the bolt. As alluded to above and mentioned in other posts - particularly concerning Scandinavian rifles on M96 actions - high-intensity cartridges HAVE been chambered on SR actions. Many of these are perfectly safe, but when an action of uncertain origin or condition is being used... better safe than sorry.

That said, I like M93's! I have one with a "new" Swedish barrel in 6.5x55 that will shoot better than I can shoot it. With properly loaded 85 gr. HP's its a deadly varmint rifle to at least 250 yards (to the detriment of at least one groundhog). There are a host of possibilities available. If you don't have one get a copy of "Cartridges of the World" and peruse the listings. The neat thing about building rifles is that you aren't stuck with the same choices as the guy buying his rifle "off the shelf!" Good Luck! wink.gif

If you put the '93 barrel on a Turk 98, I would stick with the 7x57. It can be handloaded to better than 7mm-08 and near .280 Rem. in this action(granted you have a 1 in 10 twist barrel). The '93's may indeed have a 1 in 10 twist vs the 1 in 8.5 twist of the later '98 barrels. As roscodoh pointed out, my experience mirrored that of earlier authors on the troubles encountered with pushing light bullets thru fast rifling at high velocities. I had to settle on 2,600 fps with a 139 gr bullet to get best accuracy(.75 in.) in my 19.5 inch carbine with 1 in 8.5 twist. Additionally, from a function standpoint, this would require no modifications to the magazine.

Bob